Will a Powcon 300SM Inverter work with a Lincoln LN-25 Wirefeeder?

Guys, I need some advice and help... I came across a used LN25 CV/CC wirefeeder recently, and hooked it all up today just to see if the feeder worked. Ran the heavy input lead to the back of my POWCON and plugged it into the (+) receptacle, with the ground lead going to the work. Hooked up the gas (CO2), turned it on, installed the torch, made sure I had wire, grounded the LN25 work lead to the work, and turned on the POWCON. Immediately, Herr Powcon sounded different - it usually makes a click, click clicking noise at a pretty slow speed while it's idling, but it was really fast.... not super fast, but faster than normal. I then tried the wire feed using the incher... it worked fine. Then I saw the LN25 voltmeter - it was pegged. It pegs at 40 v, and my Powcon runs an open circuit voltage of around 65-78... way higher than the LN25 appears to like.

I shut the Powcon down. Doesn't look like I damaged it at all, but something isn't right.

The LN25 manual states that it can be used with any DC welding power source. It also says that a constant voltage power source is recommended; however, the LN25 can also be used with constant current (which I'm pretty sure a POWCON is, right?) power source as long as the open circuit voltage is less than 110v DC, which my POWCON is. So what might be wrong? I don't think the LN25's voltmeter should be pegged out, right?

Now, it does say that you shouldn't use the LN-25 models with internal contactors (mine has one) with non-Lincoln TIG or Square Wave welding power sources, because damage to the LN25 can result due to the high output inductance typically associated with these power sources. It also says that TIG power should never be applied to the LN25. Is a POWCON a square-wave welding power source? It's DC... I don't believe it's a square-wave source...

Can someone tell me if this will work, and if so, how do I set it up so the POWCON and the LN25 like each other? r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

Did you switch the LN 25 to CC??? There is a switch inside the feeder. I am guessing your Powcon is a stick machine? ( CC??) Also start out with a relatively low amperage setting. Is there a graph inside your feeder that gives you some guidlines? Randy

[...]

R. Zimmerman

Randy, thanks for answering. Yes, switching the LN25 to CC was one of the first things I did. This POWCON is an 300 SM, designed for SMAW, GMAW Metal Spray, and GMAW Short-Arc - I'm not sure what the GMAW processes are for, because I've only used it in the SMAW mode.

I had the POWCON set on the lowest settings possible. I didn't try turning up the "weld power" to see if the voltage would drop, but I could do that if I knew I wasn't going to hurt something.

There is a CC graph inside the feeder that tells you how to set the wire speed for the amperage you're running. r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

GMAW is gas metal arc welding which most people just call MIG. The GMAW setting would be constant voltage. You might try switching the feeder over to CV and the power supply over to GMAW. I was running a LN25 on 1/16th self shielding flux core wire the Saturday before and it was balky on CC but I did manage to get it going. It was very sensitive to stickout length. I would try Constant voltage first if you have the capability. Randy

Randy, thanks for answering. Yes, switching the LN25 to CC was one of the first things I did. This POWCON is an 300 SM, designed for SMAW, GMAW Metal Spray, and GMAW Short-Arc - I'm not sure what the GMAW processes are for, because I've only used it in the SMAW mode.

I had the POWCON set on the lowest settings possible. I didn't try turning up the "weld power" to see if the voltage would drop, but I could do that if I knew I wasn't going to hurt something.

There is a CC graph inside the feeder that tells you how to set the wire speed for the amperage you're running. r/ Steve

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Randy, I'll try that. My only concern is that the voltage, taken from the digital readout on the 300SM, is in the 60-65 range, and the LN25 says it needs 15-40 volts (and the analog voltmeter on the LN25 only goes up to 40). Will I be in danger of doing anything bad to the POWCON by running it through the LN25, or will I damage the LN25 by giving it more volts than it needs? thanks again for trying to help me figure this out.... BTW, what power supply were you using on your LN25? r/ Steve

Reply to
GreenGas

When you go into GMAW mode the Powcon shouldn't be putting out that high a open circuit voltage. Constant voltage mode is just that the voltage remains relatively constant compared to the high fluctuation found in Constant current mode which will have a open circuit of

60-90v and a welding voltage of 18-28 volts or so. Now older CV power sources do tend to run a little higher open circuit than when welding (mine is usually around 35-40 volts open circuit) but a inverter really should maintain a pretty constant voltage even open circuit.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

It was an old Hobart transformer rectifier unit about 300 amps. If you are on CC the voltage will be adjustable and it is unlikely you could reach much over 35 volts. I have only had that one experience with the LN 25 I have used old Hobart suitcase units several times though. Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman