Wiring for a new 220V Welder

Google pulled up this page using the search string "voltage drop gauge":

at the bottom is a calculator to figure voltage drop.

For 80 feet of 10 gauge @ 240V w/ 20A load, the drop is almost 4V or 1.6% to 236V.

For 8 gauge wire the drop is only 2.4V or 1%.

For a transformer welder that maxes out at 20A, I would think that neither drop would be a problem.

If you surf over to Miller:

The manual for a MM175 has the follwing guidlines: Input V: 230V Input current: 20A Max recommended fuse rating: 30A Min input conductor size: 14 gauge Max rec. input cond. length: 67' Min grnd cond. size: 14 gauge

I would say if you go longer than 80' or you anticipate a load closer to 30A, go up to 8 gauge.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I've actually decided to do this now. I will be putting in a 60 amp breaker and running 6 guage wire to my garage and hook that up to a

100A Capable Breaker Panel. Then from that I will run 6 or 8 guage wire from a 30A breaker to a 30A outlet for the Welder. I will also run a 20A breaker hardwired with 12/3 Wire to my Air Compressor. And I'm going to run a few 20A breakers to 20A outlets for power tools.

I decided to do this, since my breaker panel now has very little room for more. I've already done all of the math by NEC standards and the

60A going to the garage can handle 230V 27A Welder, 230V 15A Air Compressor, 2 x 120V 20A outlets, 2 x 120V 15A outlets/lights.
Reply to
sparty

I did something very saimilar.

Ignoramus16163