Looking for 125 Amp Panel 30 Circuits

Does any credible manufacturer make a 125 amp panel that holds up to 30 20A circuit breakers? I need to replace a residential panel that currently has 20 circuits in it and will be expanding to 26. Total anticipated current load is around 50 amps.

It would also be great if the panel had extra space at the bottom where we could mount some current conductors so we can measure ongoing energy use on the HVAC system and computer room.

A related question is whether there is any way to alter a 200 amp panel to only allow 125 amp incoming power without violating code. We are in Northern California.

Many 200 amp panels support the amount of circuits we need, but unfortunately the underground conduit we are using is 2 inch and that apparently is under the 3 inch required for 200 amp service by code. If there were a 200 amp panel with a standard option to have the main panel breaker changed out to 125 amp we would be in business.

I believe the next step up from 100 amps is 150 amps. GE makes a 150 amp 32 circuit panel. Check your local codes to see if the 150 amp mains can be used with the 2" conduit. If not, you always have the option of using a 125 amp main disconnect and a main lug panel. Of course the panel would be then treated as a sub-panel meaning the neutrals and grounds would have to be kept separate.

Here is the GE panel:

Rich.

125 amp main breaker.

I don't see why this would be a problem from a decent electrical supply house.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Do you have any recommendations on who could do this? My electrician is saying none of the brands he works with can change out the main input breaker to 125A.

Square-D will provide a 240 volt 30 circuit NQOD panel with a 125 amp main. Or you could fit a larger service into the existing 2" conduit by using copper wire. A second opinion from another electrician might not be a bad idea either. Or just make a few calls to electrical supply houses yourself, this should not be hard to find.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

By 'brands', is he referring to retail outlets?

Contact a reputable electrical supplier. They can order panels built up to your specifications. Not cheap, of course. But the Home Depots can't do this and they want to sell you what's on their shelves anyway.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.