OT, Tv tower hinge

First, I hate heights. I have 3 sections of triangle type tower at my house. So, total length is about 30 feet.

My idea is to make some sort of hinge so I could lower it over and raise it. I know I mentioned it before but now seems to be the time I need to do it. (My little boy is starting to find pieces of the antenna in the yard.)

My thought was to dig a hole beside my current antenna a couple of feet deep and in circumfrence. Place some 3 inch schedule 80 pipe (one for each corner) into the holw with a 2x2 or so piece of 1/4 inch steel on top. On the end of the plate would be welded a few pieces of black pipe the diameter of a hitch pin. There would be another piece of 2x2x1/4 piece of steel with more black iron pipe on it. The black iron pipe would in effect be the "hinge" part of the mechanism. (sort of the way I made the fold down gate for my trailer).

Here is where I am having trouble. On top of the "top" plate, I have some 2 inch black iron pipe. My first thought is two weld three of these as "legs" on top of the top plate, then put my cut down exisiting tower into this pipe, drilling a hole through each leg. (The new two inch pipe and the legs on the tower). Instering a grade 5 bolt into this. I have also thought, I wonder if it would be easier to just put the three legs up and use u bolts to attach the tv tower to the outside of the legs.

I would place a 3x3x10 square foor piece of tubing in concrete behind the tower about a couple of feet back. On the bottom of this "pole" i would have a small hand crank winch. On top a pulley. The wire will go from the winch around the pulley and somehow on to the tower. This way I could raise and lower it.

One thing I am worried about is buckeling in the middle. Is there a way to attach the winch line where it would pull from several sections of the tower at the same time to eliminate buckeling?

I would still need to climb part way up it or have the capability to to adjust my sat dish. I cant figure out a good way to do it with the tower leaned over.

I appreciate it!

Reply to
stryped

Also, is a tower even necessary? You can mount the satellite dish lower, if space and the "view" of the satellite permit it.

The signal travels 25,000 miles to the dish. A few more feet make no difference.

When I put an addition onto my house, I temporarily moved my dish to a tree stump, at ground level. It worked just fine, and was very stable (wind didn't move it) It was subject to being bumped, however, plus I later removed the stump, so the dish went back onto the house.

Reply to
Michael Moroney