New Heights of Lame Promotion

Don't yell at me if takes too much time to load. Yell at Atlas.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Makes me want to switch to stamp collecting...

Jeff

Reply to
1shado1

I get a "...could not be found" error.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

You're lucky. It loaded and ran for me.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Are they trying to maintain parity with the famous 'Bach Man'?

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

wow.............wow........well, it is a good production, as for target audience though.........wow

Yes, reminds ya of "The Bach-Man" - "ENJOY YOUR TRAINS!"

Bruce Fav>

Don't yell at me if takes too much time to

Reply to
Pete in Calgary

yep that sucked

Reply to
David R. Campbell

Must be an IE-only website (I use Mozilla, won't use Ie for anythning other than Windows updates.)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

OK, tried again, first page showed up, needs a plug-in, probably Flash, I didn't check (I automatically dump a website that requires a plug-in to see the content.) If they want to show me a movie, they should supply downloads in the standard movie formats: *.mpg, *.avi, and even (gawdelpus) *.wmv - these three format at least. Quicktime and DivX would be nice too.

And that's my curmudgeonly take on it.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

No, you're wrong. It worked on my version of Firefox.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Nope; works in Safari (Mac OS 10.4.2), too, I'm sorry to say.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I use Mozilla. Takes 1.5 seconds to load. Lame though.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Woolever

Flash and Shockwave have been standards for many, many years.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Woolever

Roger that!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

OH!!!

MY!!!

GOD!!!

I had to put myself down after watching that...

I may not be able to buy anything from Atlas ever again.

Does anyone need a marketing director's job??? Atlas better have one available after releasing THAT to the public!!!

Maybe Atlas had their website hacked by some cruel pranksters???

Did you check the credits??? That exquisitely painful experience was brought to you by "Doozycards" productions...Bob Cooke (producer), Mark Williamson (Music and Vocals), and Michael Ceballos (Art Direction and Animation).

ouch...

Reply to
NewsReader

They've been around for many, many years, yes. I still don't like them. I don't like then because they load play whether I want them to or not. IOW, they are just a fancy pop-up, and I hate pop-ups.

No site should open with Flash/etc. The site should offer the option of going with the Flash or going without. Takes a little more work, but a happy _prospective_ customer is more likely to stick around and see what's on offer. The world is full of stuff I like, I can't get it all, I see no reason to look at a website that doesn't meet _my_ needs and desires. It's up to the vendor to please me, not the other way round.

That's all.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Still, someone could be on a 56k dialup. I do that sometimes. And what if I don't wish to see some fancy useless animation? I should have a chance to still browse the website without that plugin.

The web designers assume that EVERYONE has or likes Flash/Shockwave . Bad web design, IMO.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

| And what if I don't wish to see some fancy useless animation? | I should have a chance to still browse the website without that plugin.

Then you click on the huge white box that says "skip intro."

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

You'd be amazed how many websites lack this feature. And anyhow, the gateway should offer you further entry with or without the, uh, "effects." Why should I see that "plug-in required" message at all?

IMO, what's happening is that these companies are hiring high school students who have take a "computer science" course (and likely paying them a pittance, because they are providing an opportunity to gain "real world experience.") And of course the kids have a ball designing a flashy, glitzy, crunk site complete with vinyl decals and blue LEDs. Fun for them, yes. But good marketing it isn't.

I'm repeatedly amazed at the number of people here (and on other newsgroups) who _defend_ these and other customer-unfriendly practices. They seem to believe that business should have more rights than people. What's next? A law forcing you to buy stuff, whether you want it or not? Come to think of it, that was foreseen by a science fiction writer as long ago as the early 1960s, if I recall the date correctly.

Bah!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I finally had to go see what all the fuss was about yesterday. I'm on a dialup that typically connects at 26.4k. I think it took about 8 minutes for the whole thing to load and begin playing. The repeatedly zooming trainman while it was loading was *very* annoying to the eyes.

Reply to
Rick Jones