New Heights of Lame Promotion

http://www.atlastrainman.com/ Don't yell at me if takes too much time to load. Yell at Atlas.

Makes me want to switch to stamp collecting...
Jeff
Bruce Favinger wrote:

I get a "...could not be found" error.

You're lucky. It loaded and ran for me.
Frank Rosenbaum wrote:

Must be an IE-only website (I use Mozilla, won't use Ie for anythning other than Windows updates.)

No, you're wrong. It worked on my version of Firefox.
On 10/8/05 8:51 AM, in article f7Q1f.6517$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com,

Nope; works in Safari (Mac OS 10.4.2), too, I'm sorry to say.
--
Brian Ehni

I use Mozilla. Takes 1.5 seconds to load. Lame though.
Charles

Works fine on my Netscape 7.2 browser. Same here, use IE for updates and saving a gif image as a bitmap for later translation to a JPG
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Pete in Calgary wrote:

The "...could not be found" Must've been a momentary glitch at the ISP. I did find it, and saw a nice big white box with "get plug-in here" in the middle of it. Stoopid, that.
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Worked fine for me in Mozilla. I confess. I didn't read it, but it looks like a rather long company "ra-ra" page.
Frank Rosenbaum wrote:

OK, tried again, first page showed up, needs a plug-in, probably Flash, I didn't check (I automatically dump a website that requires a plug-in to see the content.) If they want to show me a movie, they should supply downloads in the standard movie formats: *.mpg, *.avi, and even (gawdelpus) *.wmv - these three format at least. Quicktime and DivX would be nice too.
And that's my curmudgeonly take on it.
Flash and Shockwave have been standards for many, many years.
Charles

On 10/8/05 1:34 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@syrcnyrdrs-01-ge0.nyroc.rr.com, "Charles

Roger that!
--
Brian Ehni

Charles Woolever wrote:

They've been around for many, many years, yes. I still don't like them. I don't like then because they load play whether I want them to or not. IOW, they are just a fancy pop-up, and I hate pop-ups.
No site should open with Flash/etc. The site should offer the option of going with the Flash or going without. Takes a little more work, but a happy _prospective_ customer is more likely to stick around and see what's on offer. The world is full of stuff I like, I can't get it all, I see no reason to look at a website that doesn't meet _my_ needs and desires. It's up to the vendor to please me, not the other way round.
That's all.
Still, someone could be on a 56k dialup. I do that sometimes. And what if I don't wish to see some fancy useless animation? I should have a chance to still browse the website without that plugin.
The web designers assume that EVERYONE has or likes Flash/Shockwave . Bad web design, IMO.
Peteski
| And what if I don't wish to see some fancy useless animation? | I should have a chance to still browse the website without that plugin.
Then you click on the huge white box that says "skip intro."
CTucker NY
Christian wrote:

You'd be amazed how many websites lack this feature. And anyhow, the gateway should offer you further entry with or without the, uh, "effects." Why should I see that "plug-in required" message at all?
IMO, what's happening is that these companies are hiring high school students who have take a "computer science" course (and likely paying them a pittance, because they are providing an opportunity to gain "real world experience.") And of course the kids have a ball designing a flashy, glitzy, crunk site complete with vinyl decals and blue LEDs. Fun for them, yes. But good marketing it isn't.
I'm repeatedly amazed at the number of people here (and on other newsgroups) who _defend_ these and other customer-unfriendly practices. They seem to believe that business should have more rights than people. What's next? A law forcing you to buy stuff, whether you want it or not? Come to think of it, that was foreseen by a science fiction writer as long ago as the early 1960s, if I recall the date correctly.
Bah!
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:34:31 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Not sure just who and what story you're thinking of, but I'm constantly reminded how prescient Pohl and Kornbluth were in "The Space Merchants" and "Gladiator at Law", not to mention the (nearly 20 years later) John Brunner novel "The Sheep Look Up".
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:
>> They seem to believe that business should have more rights than >> people. What's next? A law forcing you to buy stuff, whether you >> want it or not? Come to think of it, that was foreseen by a science >> fiction writer as long ago as the early 1960s, if I recall the >> date correctly. > > Not sure just who and what story you're thinking of, but I'm > constantly reminded how prescient Pohl and Kornbluth were in "The > Space Merchants" and "Gladiator at Law", not to mention the (nearly > 20 years later) John Brunner novel "The Sheep Look Up".
Sounds like a story by J.G. Ballard I once read, also I think Philip K. Dick wrote something along the same lines.