New Heights of Lame Promotion

I believe it was Tennesse Ernie Ford's version that was very popular in the 50's.

I don't recall Elvis doing 16 Tons, but he may have. I wasn't a big Elvis fan.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

So someone at Atlas was reading _and_ thinking. Good for them!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir
[...]

You're right, it was Ford. Great voice, nice melancholy delivery with just enough of an edge (not like his Gospel tunes, which he sang with too much sentimentality for taste.)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Ford's biggest hit "Sixteen Tons" was credited as being the first Rock & Roll big hit and for kicking off the Rock and Roll era of the Fifties.

As far as I can determine, Elvis Presley never recorded "Sixteen Tons"

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

I had the pleasure of meeting Ford early in my National Park Service career - in college while working as a seasonal at, of all places, Ford's Theatre Historic Site (where Lincoln was shot) in D.C.

They had an annual TV extravaganza and he was one of the entertainers. He was one of the nicest, open people you'd ever want to meet. One afternoon as he was leaving the theater, there was a bus of high school kids (possibly from Tennessee) who recognized him and yelled to him. He got out of his cab, onto the bus, and signed autographs and chatted for 10-15 minutes.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent