buy a Mig welder

My Century Mig welder don't work right no more. There's an industrial online auction nearby with several offers. A sampling is listed below. Could you folks help me pick two or three to bid on? I don't want to hook up 3 phase to weld, will any of the welders in group 1. run on single phase? Any of these especially good for AL?

  1. three phase welders

Miller model CP-300 Mig Welder, constant voltage DC arc welding power source, serial #JH318213, 230/460V, 33/16.5 amps, 3 phase, 300 amp output,

100% duty cycle. Millermatic S-52D, 115V wire feed, serial #JE827842. Includes partial spool of .030 wire. Cart mounted.

Miller CP-200 Mig Welder, serial #JE761708, 100% duty cycle. Millermatic S-52A 115V constant speed wire feeder, serial #KA883413. Cart mounted, includes spool of .035 wire.

Miller model CP-2VS Mig Welder, constant potential DC Welder continuously variable slope, serial #U474120, 230/460V, 21/10.5 amps, 3 phase, 100% duty cycle, 200 amp rated output. Millermatic 10A wire feed. Cart mounted.

  1. 3 and 1 phase units. These two look to be going higher:

Miller Maxtron 450 CC/CV DC inverter Arc Welder, serial #KE561030, 230/460V, phase 1 & 3, 450 amps rated output, 100% duty cycle Miller SR Control extended reach wire feeder, serial #LC705426.

Miller SMT 304 CC/CV Arc Welder, 300 amp rated output 60% duty cycle with Miller XR Control Extended Reach Wire Feeder on Bernard Teta Boom and cart,

59" x 67" x 95". Bring help and equipment for safe removal.

  1. 3 phase power units. This one is real cheap, no wire feeder.(I have one on a shelf)

Miller Deltaweld 451, constant voltage, DC arc welding power source, serial #KK888649, 230/460V, 70/35 amps, 3 phase, 450 amps rated output, 100% duty cycle

P.S. Many large lots of steel at this auction tht I'm sure will go cheap. I've got too much. If anybody in MN wants a deal go to k-bid.com

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend
304 cc/cv with xr wirefeed will give you a lot of options. stick, mig etc and portable. i
Reply to
Ignoramus22249

It will also probably fetch good money. I had a 300 CC/CV twice (bought for resale) and I was VERY impressed.

Ignoramus22249

you spotted the one that's going too high for my taste. (I'm a cheap skate)

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend wrote: ...

"I've got too much." You think?

That would be this auction, I'd say:

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

304's are also not as reliable as 300's, according to some things that I read. (but they are usually a lot newer).

I would personally say, all of the other welders are good. Place low bids on all of them, win some, sell some, keep the best one.

Though I have a MIG welder (Millermatic 251) I remain a stick guy at heart. I might even sell the 251.

Ignoramus22249

If you dont get what you want, Ive got a very very NICE Airco PhaseArc

350 Mig, (3ph)..300 amp out, with a nearly new Tweeco #4 gun on it that Id sell to someone for...hummm to this group only..$800.

Thing looks nearly new and runs wire very very well. On a cart of course.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Cost a lot to get 3 phase for a welder. Probably not able to use a converter. I have a Lincoln 180C. Came with a spool gun for aluminum, and works well on up to maybe 5/16 thick. thicker you have to torch heat the chunk to get decent welds. Does nice wire feed. I have only used flux core in it, but looking to add another bottle(s) for welding stainless and carbon steel. 220v single phase. Cost was about $1100 with a new empty bottle. Probably cheaper now. Indiana Oxygen was the seller. Free shipping.

Reply to
Califbill

Three phase welders and plasma cutters run great on phase converters.

Reply to
Ignoramus22249

My Dayton 230 amp (Century) has had fan motors fail, feed potentiometers fail and the gun had to be replaced. BUT, I can still get all the parts for it and it has performed flawlessly for 20 years, except when it was broken. Can't you repair the Century to do the same? It you have a little one...never mind!

What's the problem?

Reply to
Buerste

Its a little homeowner grade (S@#t). The wire feed gets bucky at unpredicatable times. Just enough to keep the arc length constantly changing on ya. Replace everything and it works a while, then when you really need it and don't have time to fart around, it screws up again.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Big phase converters.......

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yeah, like my 17.5 HP phase converter (10 and 7.5 HP idlers).

Ignoramus22249

I understand! The little guys are a PITA but the bigger boys are OK. GL!

Reply to
Buerste

I had to change the roll up door track on my shop bay door recently. So I dragged out my little Lincoln Weldpak 100 for the job. 110vts, has been absolutel trouble free for years. Im in a hurry, need to go down to LA for a service call. So I fire up the welder..and it welds for a couple seconds..then quits.

Spool tension had backed off..the spool had unrolled about half of itself inside the case, then jammed, burned out the liner, the short piece of liner from the roller to the main liner and unrolled about 300 feet of flux core inside the machine. Damnit I hate it when that happens. I had to pull a long extension cord, fire up the 220volt DanMig, roll it from the welding area etc etc..took damned near an hour to get it all ready..3 minutes to do the welding. Took another hour and a half when I got back from LA to put everything back in place, and another hour or two to modify a spare liner to fit, clean out the short roller liner and get the Weldpac back in operation again.

All for a 3 minute welding job...sigh.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:38:26 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote the following:

Yabbut, think how bad you'd feel if you had to call a welder out for that 3 minute weld. Count your blessings that A) You could do the weld yourself, B) You own welders, and C) that you know how to and have the parts to repair your own schtuff!

Yeah, it's a PITA, but it beats the alternatives.

-- Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -- George S. Patton

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh but of course!

Thats why I hang around here and Learn Stuff. Tools I got...perhaps far far too many of them.

Course..if I didnt have tools..Id not have needed the roll up door in the first place.....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:38:26 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

So... Like computers, there is no such thing as a "quick fix"?

Or a short beer?

Or a quick trip to the store ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Or buying only one thing at the store...

I think you have formed the data for a Good Scientific Saying!

Work on it, Ill help if needed and then present it here.

Similar to these..

Perhaps the world...is indeed ready for Pyotr's First Law of Welding Dynamics (or something equally appropriate)

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

But at what cost? Low effiency and large converters?

Reply to
Bill McKee