Need to bend a small metal rod

Lets say I have a small mild steel metal rod... about 1/3" in diameter.. and I need to bend it in the middle about 45 degrees. What would be the easiest way to do this? Is there any sort of 'bender' commonly available? Thanks!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant
Reply to
<memset

Maybe build or buy a small bending jig like this??

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Place in a vise. Slide pipe over the end that sticks out. Push or pull as required.

This method can even be set up to be repeatable.

DanG

Or . . . . for a sharper bend, whang it with a sledge hammer. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

LOL!!! Nice..

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Unbelievable. LOL. That is a great idea! What do you think about the section I'm going to bend first with a propane torch? Worth the extra time?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Errr... I didn't say that right.

What I mean... what do you think about HEATING the section I'm going to bend first with a propane torch? Worth it? Sorry.. just woke up.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

If the temper of the steel isn't a huge concern, it may prove to be a lot easier to heat the steel rod in the bend zone (1" either side) with a propane or Oxy-Acetylene torch till red hot and somewhat plastic, then bend it in a vise as suggested above. When good and hot, that rod will fold like a flexy straw.

If you do need to re-temper, get it bent the way you want and then heat again and quench in a bucket of water. If the ultimate strength of this rod is very important, find out exactly what type steel you have and follow the specific tempering steps required - may need to be oil-quenched.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks, Bruce & everybody else. I ended up going to home depot & getting a

5/16" x 36" mild steel rod. I used an angle grinder to cut off roughly 11 inches and I saved the rest of the rod in case I need it later (why throw away $$?). I stuck the edge of the rod in the vise & secured it. I then heated the area I was going to bend until I felt it was hot enough (not glowing red, but I felt it was hot enough) and used the "pipe" from my vehicle jack & stuck that on the end & made the desired bend. Worked like a charm! I thought I was going to have to take it to a metal bending jig or something, but nope! A little heat & a vise & pipe did the trick. I *probably* could have done it without heating the rod first, but ah well... heating it was more fun. I was actually needing to bend it because I didnt' feel like paying $15 for a single exhaust hanger from Randall Ford & I didn't even really wanna spend the $10 for an aftermarket hanger which I'd hafta figure out how to rig up... plus making a custom hanger didn't seem *that* difficult so I thought I'd put the welder to good use. Heating, bending, and welding all in all took about 20-25 minutes and now my exhaust is very stable again (I only had 1 side w/ a hanger for a few days & wanted to stabilize the other side asap). Btw, the steel rod was $3.08 with tax.

So again, all of your recommendations/suggestions were awesome & I appreciate it a ton =). Have a great day. Thx for saving me a few bucks!

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

If you didn't even get it glowing, you didn't really do much to it. To really see the effect of heat on steel, you need to get it up a good 2000F (yellow) or so. The things you can do...

Between hammers, heat and leverage... steel is a wonderful hand-worked material ;)

Tim

Tim Williams

The effect will be pretty obvious at 1100-1200F, where yield will be 30-

50% of yield at room temperature. At 2000F it'll be 5% or less. But it's true that there won't be much change before the steel starts to show some color.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I can't really explain it... it was "red" (starting to turn red), but I didn't keep it there so it'd be GLOWING red... but I would imagine that it was a little easier to bend at least than if it was cold. It was about 30F outside.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Estimating temperature by color is very sensitive to the surrounding light level, but if you saw any red at all you probably did make it a bit easier to bend the bar.

Scroll down to find a color chart..

and a graph of reduction in yield vs. temperature..
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Whoah! Awesome, Ned! Thx =). Btw... for kicks, I took the remains of the rod... put it in a vise.. bent it.... it was a *little* more difficult I think, but not much more difficult. Oh well. Propane torch was fun anyway.