Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

Threaded View
Hi all,

I'm machining some small (1" x 1.5") aluminum brackets and want these to be
cosmetically nice.  IOW, I'd like the machined surface to be unmarked by
clamp or vise marks.  How can clamp these things in a vise so that they
won't get marked by the jaws and stay put while I'm cutting them?  Soft
(aluminum, brass,) jaws or spacers of some sort?

The marks left aren't hugely obvious but I'd like to get as close to
perfection as I - and my limited skills - can.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
I should add that I'm using my mill for this, although any info about lathe
chuck mounting would also be helpful.

Regards,

Peter
be

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
In the mill vise I use notebook paper to prevent staining and marring of
delicate materials.

RJ

lathe

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
I'll try it.  Thanks,

Peter
by
they
Soft

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

Wood, lead, various plastics, even aluminium, if kept clean.
Nice thick rubber may be an option.

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
I knew a fellow who showed me a trick.  He took a foot of 1" copper
water pipe and would cut it down the middle and shape it to fit his
vise's jaws.  It was pretty slick & I've kept it in the back of my
head to do some day on something I don't want to mar.

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

Did he use the copper pipe instead of flat stock for a reason, or was the
tubing just an easy source of material?

Peter

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
Peter,

You ever race Honda autos??

In SF area?

Pedro

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

Yes....

Wasn't it always said in these types of situations, "You have me at a
disadvantage, sir"?

How do I know you?

Peter

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

be

Hard plastic shimstock, fastened in place to the milling vise jaws with
double sided tape.

--

SVL

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
I've been using a couple of pieces of plastic angle that came from some toy
one of my son's had..... I wish I could find more, cause it works great.
Ron

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
The usual soft metals or firm plastics in thin strips. Aluminum from old
instrument cases, the kind that has pebble-grained vinyl bonded to the
panels.
Automotive wet/dry sand paper, with the plain paper side against the
workpiece, and then cleaning the abrasive particles off the vise when done.
Fibreglas tape or circuit board stock, foil tape, heavy paper stock such as
file folder paper.

WB

be

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

I'm wondering what might be the problem with the hardened, steel jaws in your
machine vise. Assuming that is what your have, that is. Are the parts an odd
shape or very delicate? I often use alum soft jaws cut to the desired shape to
hold the workpiece. The main thing in not marking up your parts is to keep
everything CLEAN. That doesn't mean just blowing air, though that is often all
that is needed. You must have the part and the jaws absolutely clean, no
residue. Also, a vise can generate a lot of clamping force, don't be
ham-handed. There is a time and place for leaning on the handle, and for not
leaning on it. If your jaws have irregularities, that may mean there are
depressed and protruding deformities. Use an Arkansas stone to rub out high
spots. If you don't have one, or one in good shape, use a tool bit (lathe) and
wrap some fine emory paper around it.

Good luck with the cosmetics, a little care and you should get nice results.

michael

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
I used a couple of layers of duct tape over the jaws of my "little" bench vise
yesterday while making a "spoon ring"for that guy who asked for one one here
last week.

I was curling a flat sterling silver cutout around a piece of duct tape wrapped
3/8" iron pipe;  Worked just fine for a quick "one off" job.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/jring.html

Score one more for duct tape....

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

In bench vises, I've used leather backed by plywood, sections of small
extruded aluminum angle, chunks of rubber from heavy truck mud flaps
and some magnet-backed nylon jaw faces made for the task.  In a
machine vise, I haven't used anything.  I suppose some copper sheet
shims, if clean on both sides, would work.  Any of the things I've
used in a bench vise might let your piece wiggle around too much at
the wrong time in a mill.  If your machine vise jaws are clean and
smooth, there shouldn't be much for marks left on the workpiece.

Stan

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?

Often a thin sheet of paper helps the vise hold the work and prevents
marks too.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Re: Non marring vise jaws - what do you guys use?
Hey Peter,

In the milling machine vise, two if it's  flaaaaattt, or three if it's
not quite, pennies.  Works a treat.  Use the pennies under the work
too, for clamping to the table.

And to get something small in place in the bench vise, put it in Silly
Putty and then squeeze.  It's like having four hands!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX