News Readers - What do you guys use?

I've had a gutful of Outlook Express - what do you guys use instead. I'm using Xnews as well (mostly for the binary group), but it's kinda fiddly. Any more suggestions? And if it's free, that will be real good!

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

I use Forté Agent for both mail and news but Free Agent is a good newsreader and it's, well, free......

Al Superczynski

Reply to
jerry 47

Outlook Express ;-)

Though, if you are a Unix/Linux potential then look at Knode.

Netscape 4.7. I've tried Xnews and didn't like it. Outlook so irritates me that I'd give up the internet if I had to use it. My personal favourite was Netscape 3.0 but I'm told Windows 95 won't work with it. I know I have a crapload of info stuck in a file that I can't access because of that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

whose opinion of tech heads is reaching the depths of telemarketers...

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

newsx google up nx201.zip it's an unsupported freakin antique that you will wonder how you ever lived without. or shoot me an email addy and i'll send it to you. it's only

600k.

steep learning curve and ugly. but the bitheads love it.

trust me guys, for a reader and occasional file snatcher newsx. but also check out the free goodies at cosmicwolf.com

Netscape 7.1 - free, and can't be happier.

Reply to
Rufus

Steep learning curve? I don't think you've looked at version

2.0. As for ugly I guess that's pretty much a matter of opinion. I like it and have been using it since shortly after I got online in Jan '97.

What's a 'bithead'? I never realized I was one! ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Mozilla is pretty good, and includes ways of blocking pop-up. I am not sure if Nutscrape does though.

Funny, I still have Netscape Gold 3.04 installed (aside from 4.8 and 7.1), and I remember I used it back then when I had Windows 95 and had no problems that I can remember...

Reply to
machf

for someone who uploads and download large amounts of music files, it is pretty kludget. as a strait new reader, i found it needlessly complex. i know it has many features but for me it's overkill. i like kiss software so newsx and powerpost really make my life easy. you are more pc savvy than you knew, al. but i knew you have smarty brains. maybe using 3 seperate programs to deal with usenet is odd, but all my tasks, which includes uploading a cd or lp and downloading as many as 25 per day is made very easy. bithead is complementary. remember, geeks are cool.

i didn'r know they made a version for your speak and spell, rufus. is the sam finished? pictures?

files and certain formats aren't supported. it is also needlessly kludgey. and it is butt ugly.

nutterscrape requires plu-inz. it was cool up to 4.9, then became sell-out wares.

remember the throbbing n? aaahh!!

Ah, thanks - I think. Anyways, I don't do a whole lot of uploading or downloading and when I do I use FTP via Total Commander.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

for binary newsgroup files, poergrab rules...

I use

website when I do the newsgroups. Simple and crude but effective. Works for me ...

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.