News Readers - What do you guys use?

Welcome back Chris!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Amen, does everything I need too.

Reply to
Grandpa

Rob Grinberg wrote: : I've had a gutful of Outlook Express - what do you guys use instead. : tin - threaded intrepretive newsreader.

Yeah, okay, its CLI, but its simple, compact and fast. And, it does exactly what I tell it to do. :-)

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Mozilla Thunderbird, whatever that is. Though it seems to do everything I want with usenet. Just started using it after a LONG hiatus.

Very long. Good to see r.m.s hasn't changed much. I hope that doesn't sound insulting ;-)

Cheers Michael

Rob Grinberg wrote: > I've had a gutful of Outlook Express - what do you guys use instead. I'm > using Xnews as well (mostly for the binary group), but it's kinda fiddly. > Any more suggestions? And if it's free, that will be real good! >

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Michael Lumley

I've been using Forte's Agent/Free Agent for freakin' forever. It is one of the few shareware programs that I actually spent money on. I'm convinced it is the best newsreader for:

-subscribing and tracking multiple groups,

-Navigating through congested and high noise-to-signal ratio groups.

-Offline operation; you can set to retrieve new threads/msgs and read them off-line later.

The Free Agent version is free, but you won't have kill/watch filters or the email client. I used Free Agent for five years before paying and upgrading to the full Agent- and it is worth every cent. Yes, it does have a steeper learning curve, but I don't see it as clunky- even w/retrieving binaries.

At work or away from laptop/home, I use Google Groups. My only complaint with Google is that it doesn't update as frequently as I'd like.
Sat

Reply to
Saturn S. Padua

that mesnews is really damn good. give it a peek.

That's not right- my Win95 PC has both N4.7 and N3 on it and it still works OK. I liked the Netscape 3 news reader as well - far superior to the version 4 - stopped using Netscape with the disaster that was version

6

Use Agent now, primarily for it's Offline reader ability (though not so relevant with ADSL)

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

How is version 7? I used to love Netscape, but was put off by the disaster that was version 6.