News Readers - What do you guys use?

Same codebase. Yes, it does. Just FTP'd it to someone's machine who had IE hijacked so we could actually *download* some utilities (and teach machine maintenance)

Reply to
EGMcCann

EGMcCann> Same codebase. Yes, it does. Just FTP'd it to someone's EGMcCann> machine who had IE hijacked so we could actually EGMcCann> *download* some utilities (and teach machine EGMcCann> maintenance) :-) Yeah, first things first.

Graphics in HTML pages is a pain in news, both for hi-speed and lo-speed networks. If I use Mozilla (or the latest Netscape and other derivatives) I usually turn off images in order to get faster paging service from Google, for instance.

I usually use gnus, a text-based newsreader running under Emacs, in any operating system. No fuss, fast service, lots of ability to block (or score, as it is now that killfiles are out of date) spam or unwanted topics and authors. In the *nix world there is also rnews, tnews and various other text-based Usenet interfaces. Gnus is a fully-featured newsreader and mail reader, plus it can be integrated with your browser, other mail software and various utilities you might have. I can swear by it.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Avalookatdis! This sorts the men from the geeks...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

You forgot that is also a product of The Evil Empire(tm)...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

I've tried them all and I always come back to simple old Outlook Express. I do wish there were a few more bells and whistles though. At the top of the list, I'd just like to be able to one-click filter cross posters and spammers.

I do have a copy of NewsBin pro that I keep handy for copying the occasional MP3 file. All non-copyrighted public domain stuff of course. ;-)

WmB

WmB

MicroPlanet Gravity was a great newsreader for windows 95, 98 and NT but the company went bust. You can still download the free 2.5 version from the link below, if your operating system can use it (I use it with windows 2000 Pro and it works fine.) There also is a 2.6 "Super Gravity" which was modified by a former Microplanet employee. Either way it's a very powerful newsreader and I hate to think about eventually using anything else. The best thing Microsoft could have done was to buy the program and incorporate it into Explorer - IMHO.

James

From the Mac side of the street:

MT-Newswatcher (the OS 9 version of NewsWatcher). Works great, and as it is completely independent of any browser, pop-ups are irrelevant. Free too.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

well, duh! (g)

yeah, sure. i have 5600 cd's of public domain tunes.

toth is nice too.

Which is probably what I mean when I think of it as ridiculously cluttered and space-wasting.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

There's always the possibility that the son is fibbing ot his old man so that he won't have to do something he objects to. I'm somewhat at the mercy of my interpreter.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

send me some kits i like and i'll ship you a box with all the right software. hide it under your model bench. need a burner, too?

Yup. NS 7.1 rules...

I'm so close...I've got everything painted, including the wash on the launcher. I need to do some more weathering (paint chipping) with a pencil, decal the missile, and final assemble everything.

Been spending more time on that 1/72 F/A-18F for the museum of late. It's coming right along, too. Got the leading and trailing edge flaps dropped, the cockpit done, and the fuselage closed up.

I may actually complete two soon...I'll post snaps on ABMS as they finish.

Reply to
Rufus

coolness

Bill, I have been able to run several Win 3.1 programs on my Win 98 box.

Or on the other hand - I still have a Win 3.1 machine running and I use it. So, it has the y2k problem - it doesn't bother me that the date is screwed up. If I have to use my fax modem I reset the date back to 1999 and that works too.

So, I would sugest to try and install Netscape 3.0 and see what happens. Or get a cheap 486 PC (like one I have) and just run Win 3.1 on it.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

this may help you guys.

lmk if you need serials.

Le 05/05/2004, Rob Grinberg a supposé :

Mine is "MesNews" wich is a very efficient freeware. You can find it there :

Flying Frog

Flying Frog avait écrit le 06/05/2004 :

Some informations kept on MesNews website :

MesNews is a newsreader. It is a freeware developed in the Delphi 7 language. It works on all version of Windows (95, 98, NT, on 2000 and XP).

multi-servers, multi-forums displaying of messages in text and html format sending in text and html format display of the servers / forums in a tree structure form, or with only a button per server three levels of synchronizations for the forums displaying of smileys in the pictures form ( animated gif) various steps of quotage in colour decoding of the messages in multipart, base64, yEncoded etc... selective filtering multioptions setting color of the messages according to criteria : name, email, subject, size, etc... random signatures random formulations text management of the XFaces speller plugins etc...

Reply to
Flying Frog