removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

Threaded View
I successfully devalved a little propane tank today, the kind they don't
want you to use any more. I bled it off for a couple of days, with the
tank set at the top of a largish sloped driveway so the gas would run down
the hill and diffuse. When it finished hissing I turned it upside down with
the valve open for a few hours. Then I took it into the shop and plumbed an
air hose to it and pressurized it to 120psi and vented it, then repeated
the air venting twice. I tried to get the valve to admit water but it plain
didn't work. I cobbled up a chain clamp setup like Ted Edward's, heated the
threaded area with a handheld propane torch until the paint barely started
to smoke, and turned the valve out easily with a large crescent wrench.

It was a lot easier than I'd thought it would be based on all the horror
stories. I filled it with hot water and a little dishwashing detergent
for a first cut at de-stinking it (I don't much like the garlicky smell
of methyl mercaptan). If anyone has any bright ideas as to how best to
get the stink out of the tank I'd like to know about it.

I'm going to make a little forge.

Grant Erwin

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank
I cut them open with a cutting disc on a grinder after the water routine.  I
leave the water in when cutting .  The smell was gone from the two halves
after about a week.  They make nice planters :'))
Randy

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank
HEY, I ain't afraid of nothin but you guys are scareing me. At a certain
percentage of fuel to air it becomes self explosive. Somthing like 20 to 1.
If you wanted to purge that tank an inert gas such as nitrogen or co2 or
argon. Definitly not compressed air. Steam is a good purge and used in oil
refinery's to prep line for work. The mercaptan is a carcinogen. Get a MDS
and check it out. Those tanks are better sent to be recycled the benefit is
not worth the risk.

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

Didn't somebody say that bleach is the correct approach?

Jim

             please reply to:
Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

Yep, it worked well for me, after trying a few other things that had
very little effect.  Bob

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

I didn't take the valve off, so I didn't pour in much - maybe a cup.
Sloshed it around a bit and let it sit overnight (I suspect that the
sitting overnight wasn't necessary).  Poured it out (and rinsed?).  Did
not fill with water.

Bob

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

I did some Web research this morning. It appears that methyl mercaptan dissolved
in a 5% bleach solution does indeed turn red/orange/brown colored. So it wasn't
rust. And to put the (unneeded) cap on it, there are a lot of official-looking
Web sites which say methyl (or ethyl, or butyl ..) mercaptan can be deodorized
with a 5% sodium hypochlorite solution, better known as household bleach. So
my method of pouring in 1-2 cups of bleach, plugging and sloshing thoroughly,
then unplugging and hot water rinsing is about as good as you can do. - GWE

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

Hmm, interesting.  I sit corrected!  Unless... did they do it in glassware
or say, a propane tank? <G>

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
    - Homer Simpson

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

Tim, I've seen about every kind of rusty water there is. This actually was
the wrong color. It's pretty clearly a chemical solution. I'll know when
I cut the tank open this week. I might do another bleach rinse because after
24 hours it still smells faintly like skunk/garlic.

Grant

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

Alright then.  I'll take your word for it. :)

after

Heard the stuff kinda soaks in... as I recall you have to boil the bleach in
it to get it good?  Always wondered if it would do any good to burn the
stuff out altogether... though that's not really any good (annealing it) if
you wanted it for a pressure vessel in the first place. <g>

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
    - Homer Simpson

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:40:54 -0800, Grant Erwin
......and in reply I say!:

"methyl mercaptan is produced as a decay product of animal and
vegetable matter."

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank
Speaking of skunk smell, I was in the company van at about 0200 this morning
and was unable to swerve enough to avoid running over a freshly dead skunk.
Since the skunk smell followed us to our destination and back to work, it seems
some scent is splashed/thrown onto the van, flashlight inspection did not
reveal any pieces. I was not interested in a close up exam as my eyes were
beginning to water.

How much time till smell fades in Philly area in winter?

John H.

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mustmaker) wrote in

Sorry John...in Philly the smell never fades.....;0)

Re: Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

Probably over night or another day is my recollection from a similar
experience up here in central PA

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank
I have an old one that they will no longer fill as well, Let me know how to
make this little forge if you don't mind. I think I'm getting cabin fever
already. It's time for a project!!.

Searcher1

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank

I am making a forge which will be a lot like Ron Reil's freon tank forge
which you can see online at http://www.reil1.net/minifor1.shtml although
he doesn't give many construction details.

I'm going to be working out of the book "Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces
& Kilns" by Michael Porter. This book has great content but could have
used a little editing.

See Matthew Dockrey's forge construction page:
http://www.cyphertext.net/~gfish/forge.html

Here's another freon tank forge construction page (very similar to propane):
http://fredlyfx.com/freon.htm

And another:
http://www.kd5bwd.com/blacksmithing/bs_freon_tank_forge_2.htm

Don't miss Jason's forge in the dropbox:
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf.txt
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf1.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf2.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf3.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf4.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf5.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf6.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf7.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf8.jpg
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/_1999_retired_files/ftmf9.jpg

that oughta get ya going -- Grant

Re: removing the valve from a BBQ propane tank
Grant, you still have a web page?

Site Timeline