bbq tank adaptors

There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

Reply to
unk

I have had one for many years. Used it earlier this week. I have a wood s tove in the basement and use a small hand held torch to start the fire.

The little tanks tend to leak after they have been refilled once or twice, so I install a torch on them after refilling.

Also the propane does not readily flow into the small tank even thought the tank is lower than the bigger tank. So I put the small tank in the freeze r ( with torch istalled, So when I take it out the pressure in the small t ank is low. Works best if the small tank is about 1/4 full.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Of course they are; I bought one from HF a half-dozen years ago, but they've been around a lot longer. Hook it up, invert the tank, then open the valve for a few minutes to let the liquid go in to the smaller tank.

Just remember that it's not legal (DOT) to transport a refilled one-pound container.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Jim Wilkins

I made one years ago by soldering spare connectors together. Depending upon how much propane you use in a torch, the $18 cost might take a while to recover.

As Dan said, refilled tanks tend to leak & need to have torches permanently attached.

The small tanks are labeled "Not for refill" - if that matters to you.

The propane only flows from the large tank to the small one if the pressure in the large one is greater than it is in the small one. (And the large tank must be upside down.) Since the propane is liquid in the tanks, this means that the temperature of the large one must be higher than the small one.

I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It is ilegal to transport a refilled non-refillable tank.

Reply to
clare

OPD won't work upside down. My experience is "used" 1 lb tanks leak - forget about refilled.

Reply to
clare

I'll see you and raise you one @ $6.68.

without the middle man.

I haven't used mine with the new OPD-valved tank yet, but looking at a bare OPD valve, I see that it will still work with an inverted tank.

How safe is it to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to open the pressure relief valve to completely fill the small tank? That's the only "iffy" part, since it's steel on steel with propane gas rushing past it. Has anyone machined a brass lifter?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you sure? I haven't tried it yet, but judging by the configuration, they sure as hell will. They're just like a carb float valve, so they should allow continuous flow upside down.

They prevent overfilling by shutting off the inlet when the liquid propane gets high, just like a carb needle valve.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I guess you are referring to Canada's legal system. However, in America th ere may be exemptions regarding chemical storage, handling, transportation, and use. This is enforceable under "national code" from the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) or per recognized "material safety data manua ls" and is enforceable by local residential code or other authorities.

Various states may delegate recommended code adoption and enforcement autho rity to subordinate local jurisdictions and there may be exemptions. Some states enforce these codes much less frequently than others.

Reply to
mogulah

On 3/15/2016 7:41 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote: ...

There are different answers, so I looked into it. OPD's do not retrict upside down flow. From

Because the OPD valve is not designed to restrict flow out of the cylinder, it's only designed to stop flow into the cylinder during the filling process. OPD equipped propane cylinders _will_ allow liquid propane into gas lines and hoses if tipped over or inverted. Overfill Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during cylinder usage.

There is another safety feature of OPD's - they prevent flow if nothing is attached: OPD valves are also designed to only allow propane into and out of the bottle if attached to the appropriate hose end connection. ... OPD valves will not allow propane out of the bottle if it is not hooked up to anything.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Maybe some OPD tanks won't work, but I have three OPD tanks and all will flow liquid when upside down. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I generaly rely on one of the almost empty BBQ tanks I buy for $0.50 and a 4 foot adapter hose that usually costs me a buck whenever I need to use one or more "turbo" torches. Last fall I lucked out and bought a full five pound bottle for a dollar - when it is empty it will become my regulated surge tank for an air brush or whatever I need at the moment.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

FWIW, my surge tank for an airbrush is an old tire with a Badger adapter and a Y-fitting. It works well if you don't need more than around 40 psi, and the total cost was around $4. I've been using it for around 30 years.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That's what the one I dismantled looked like.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Where are you finding the "pucks" (or "curling rocks" for a buck???? Hardly ever see any of them any more.

Reply to
clare

On 3/16/2016 8:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote: ... Last fall I lucked out and bought

I haven't bought propane since I can't remember when - it was before OPD became required. The OPD requirement caused a flood of 1/2-full tanks at the dump. People thought that it was illegal to use them.

Tanks still come in, some nearly full. I think many are there because people move and the movers won't transport them. Others probably because people get new grills that come with tanks and the old ones go the dump, empty or not.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks a lot, John.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

This one came from an elderly couple's yard sale selling off thier camping stuff.

Reply to
geraldrmiller