Repairing cast iron manifold

I have a couple of exhaust manifolds that the DPO tried to drill out broken studs and did a royal job of screwing everything up. Crooked, oversized holes make the manifold all but worthless. Been wondering how I can repair the holes back to standard. Holes are too big and crooked for helicoils. Need to fill the in and redrill and retap. Any ideas on how I can weld the holes up without having the weldmetal turn out too hard to drill and retap?

Reply to
GMasterman

JR North

There are other types of inserts available, such as Keen-serts, that are a solid type of construction rather than wound wire. Their outside thread is normally much larger than the internal thread, and a different pitch. That type insert should take care of your needs.

michael

Reply to
michael

Try these guys:

Great product.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Great idea to have these installed in the spark plug holes if ever rebuilding an aluminum head.

Reply to
Mark