Digital calipers 9.99 at Maplin

Maplin have 6" digital caplipers on sale for ?9.99 till 20th March. Stock code N48AA. I assume they're the same as all the other Chinese-made 6" digital calipers.

The one I got doesn't look quite like the ones on the Maplin site, it has a silver rather than black scale, but the electronics bit looks identical. Doesn't feel as nice and solid as my similarly cheap stainless vernier caliper, but comparing a couple of messurements with a micrometer and the stainless vernier it seems to meet the claimed accuracy specs.

Now I just need to work out what an "electric pen" is, so I can avoid using one "for the fear of damaging its chip".

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

In article , Tim Auton writes

ArcEuroTrade have 6" digital calipers as a standard catalogue item for £8.99 - I bought one last week just to try it out. Not as good as my pukka Mitutoyo one, but then it only cost a quarter the price.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

[snip]

Ooh, so they do. They were more expensive last time I looked. They call them "Digital Vernier Calipers" though. They apparently also sell "Dial Vernier Calipers". Funnily enough, I couldn't see a vernier scale on either of them...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Yep; yet another precise term on its way to being degraded beyond recognition.

Still, it's impressive how the price of such equipment has come down dramatically over the last decade or two. I remember my first Kanon vernier (really) calipers were transit damaged - seawater corrosion - and were missing the depth gauge, but cost me about twice that price in the 80s.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

First pair I bought were a pair of Max-Cal digitals, they cost £120 when wages were about £40.00 per week. The Mitutoyo's were about he same price but the early Mitutoyo's could only work in imperial or metric and couldn't switch between the two.

They have certainly come down in price.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

On or around Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:17:22 +0000, Tim Auton enlightened us thusly:

*perk*
Reply to
Austin Shackles