Yale lever chain hoist

Some years ago I picked up a 1.5 ton Yale lever chain hoist for the price of a couple of beers. It's the type with the roller chain not the standard link version. After a couple of years gathering dust I went to use it for the first time and I can't get it to release any chain. What am I doing wrong? Is there a secret to operating it or do they have part of a mechanism that gums up with lack of use?. I'll dismantle it and have a look if there are no suggestions.

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
wells_hall

They have a disk clutch mechanism in the handle under the handwheel knob, a bit like a steering damper, with two steel plates a fibre plate and two buckets of shitty rust, probably got stuck. Mind your fingers when using these things they can be bloody lethal when lowering.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Yale Pul-Lift ?

The clutches that hold the weight are probably stuck together as John says, they are not difficult to strip and clean up, but no grease on the clutch plates!

There's a place at Biggleswade that does spares and repairs if you need them, Anglia Lifting Services or something along those lines, very helpful when I wanted some parts, and they do testing as well.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

If it's been put away 'loaded' - maybe you had been pulling something along rather than lifing and lowering - they can be a real bu**er to start, *lots* of force needed on the handle to release the clutch.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L