Parallax Propellor Chip

Has anyone used the Parallax Propellor chip? It looks very interesting - especially the 8 parallel processors. I am concerned by the fact that their "SPIN" language is interpreted instead of compiled. I'm used to compiled C on a 20 MHz PIC, so I would be very disappointed if an 8-threaded Propellor has less performance than a single-threaded PIC.

Any insight would be appreciated, especially performance comparison experience.

BRW

Reply to
BRW

Just check tihs out for performance:

I can't see a PIC doing that any time soon.

Of course the propeller chips aren't the best for everything. There's all sorts of design specs to take into account when choosing a uC - not least the per unit price! Saying that I've never actually used one myself and they certainly do look very interesting for hobby stuff.

Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

We've had two presentations on the Propeller at our robotics club (HBRC). For me, the thing that grabbed me was that it was possible to dedicate one processor to debugging support without effecting the performance or behavior of the other 7 processors in any way. The example shown was the ability to manipulate the parameters for a PID algorithm in real time and see the results in real time. Until I saw that example, I was pretty ambivalent towards the Propeller. There are DSP chips with significantly more total performance than the Propeller, but it can be a total pain in the rear to get your algorithms debugged on them. The short answer is it looks like Parallax has another winner on their hands.

-Wayne

Reply to
Wayne C. Gramlich

We are working on a commercial C compiler for Propeller. We are pushing for an alpha/beta in Oct and end of the year release. Feature wise it will be very similar to our other products

It will use a "Large Programming Model" so the program size is limited to the size of the Hub memory and not COG RAM.

// richard

Reply to
Richard
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

We are about to release new OLED display hardware for the propeller chip:

Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie