Micro Maxx question

Never really wondered before, but do the Quest Micro-Maxx rockets fall under the same guidelines for launching (in regards to CSFM especially) as other model rockets (especially given their itty-bitty size?). I'm going to do a minor demo launch soon, and I'm curious (don't worry, I've got the usual stuff taken care of, but didn't know if using the MM products would alleviate some of the problems).

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

They are a model rocket.

But like readirocs they are so low performance most people do not perceive them as model rockets, but toys.

So if your standard is don't ask, don't tell, well, you know what.

But if perfect compliance is your standard, you will need WRITTEN FD approval, written landowner approval, a million dollars in liability insurance and of course full safety code compliance. For a rocket that goes 30 feet and is nearly free of noise.

And the kids next door are shooting at will.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes, they are Model Rocket Motors/Model Rockets. They are classified as such by the CSFM (the seal is on the motor packaging).

Permits required.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Ontario California or Canada?

Anywhere is the State of California you must have a permit from the fire authority having jurisdiction and also the permission of the property owner.

$1000 fine and/or up to 1 year in jail for *each* violation.

You may launch on a farm without a permit, start a fire that then spreads throughout the region.

Notice any fires in So Cal in the last year or so? It's a bit flammable here.

You can get a permit and cover yourself from those pesky fines or jail time. People do it all the time.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

You were in a non-enforcement zone.

You are now on rmr. Maximal enfoecement zone. In fact, over-enforcement zone.

It's the government, itd oesn't have to makes ense.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And that's just why the people at Kern County seat when I called them up after moving up here gave me the answer " What you going to burn? Desert dirt?" Even with the house going in on the land next to this trailer park, I still have close to 20acs to launch in and the people have already seen me launching. No Big Deal.

Get outside the Land of No,( L.A. / Orange ) and you may just find the rest of the state far easyer to deal with.

Besides, the trailer park owner lives next door to me and he don't care what I do out there. As long as it doesn't make him work any.

Reply to
Starlord

Hi Mike,

in Canada there are a few federal regulatory agencies that regulate hobby rocketry and other airborne hobbies. When you are operating in the city, all the land is owned by someone that, if you are operating "by the book", you must gain permission from.

Mostly, though, common sense prevails. The police would appear pretty ornery if they walk into an obviously fun, safe, enjoyable situation and start arresting people for obscure (for the general public) reasons.

I was told by a fellow looking into legalities for local launches that even flying a kite within city limits would be violating airspace regulations due to airport proximity, but really, who cares?! Common sense prevails. Most MicroMaxx rockets won't out-do a good kite for altitude, and they certainly don't pack as much mass, occupy as much volume, or occupy the same airspace over as much time.

When I asked the local Fire Marshall about flying rockets within city limits, I was told that we would need someone present who is certified to handle fireworks and who has purchased a permit. Yet fireworks can be bought at the local Canadian Tire by any adult. Usually they are used in back yards and in city parks without permits or permission. That might give you some indication regarding how strictly regulations are enforced in your neighborhood, and what the Fire Marshall is up against.

Liability issues might taint what local admin types will tell you. But if you chat with local police and city admin types, you'll get an idea how stringent local restrictions are regarding itty-bitty MicroMaxx rockets. When they actually see them, you'll get some pretty lenient, jovial responses if common sense prevails.

Fire Marshalls bear the heavy responsibility for fire prevention within city limits, so expect them to be pretty hard-nosed regarding regulations. That's their job!

I'd recommend being aware of who's responsible for what goes on in the launch area. If you are on private property, liability sits on the land owner. On school property, local school boards are liable. On city property, parts of city administration are liable. When you are aware, then you have an idea of whose butts are on the line.

For much better information, check out the CAR website.

Dwayne Surdu-Miller SAROS #1

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Reply to
Mike

So, will this wipe out the current CA fire regs?

Will it eliminate the requirement for permission of the property owner and a permit to launch Model Rockets?

Will it eliminate the permits for importing MR or HPR motors?

And how about those CSFM Classification requirements?

(Rick D. had mentioned they were looking at adopting NFPA, but I had not heard anything in a looong time).

-Fred "BT-5 Blow-Out" Shecter NAR 20117

Fred Shecter

Yes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

God bless Canada

Reply to
Mike

You can get a permit and cover yourself from those pesky fines or jail time. People do it all the time.

Really? I thought CLUBS do it. Occasionally. After searching for a site for years, sometimes. I thought mere "people" had little choice but to join a club and hope they won't lose their launch site anytime soon...

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

Certainly we all hear about clubs since they actually seek publicity to let folks know about their launch site.

School teachers get permits quite often, but for their class use only.

Scouts and other youth groups get permits, again for their group only.

Individuals get permits in some locations. It's definitely more difficult since many property owners require certificates of insurance with special wording to attempt to protect themselves from liability. This is easy for an NAR section (and damned cheap), so that is the path of least resistance. if an individual finds a site with an owner who does not require the extra insurance, then they just need the Fire Permit. Some jurisdictions have zero fee for permits, others have a strict fee structure for any and all permits - and Model Rocket permits often fall under the fireworks permit area and can cost $$. Again, they often waive fees for schools and non-profit groups.

I've gotten permits to launch on school yards without the permits being issued for an NAR section. You have to approach the school folks properly to get permission, then just get a permit from the Fire Authority.

-Fred "it can be done" Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter