Spark plug lead

From Another Place. I thought it might be useful.

Packard brand 7 mm plug wire or similar wire core - not carbon track type . Copper or SS both work . Cheap brands have fewer strands . Seem OK tho as a high tension current flows OVER the surface of the conductor rather than through the wire , unlike a low voltage current which goes through the metal wire core .

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Ithink someone is confusing current from a high tension source and a high frequency source.

Reply to
brightside S9

An HT discharge *is* a high frequency current so skin effect is present.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Not if you have a big enough capacitor bank 8-)

(My degree is in laser physics)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bow to your greater knowledge.

BTW well done for killing KVDP's attempts to add further confusion to Wiki Stirling engine article!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Ah, the Belgian 8-(

You think the Stirling engine was bad? You should see his take on steam boilers, flanged tram wheels, Flettner rotors, domestic oxy- hydrogen fuel cell power, ad infinitum. Keen, but utterly clueless and becoming a major time sink, let alone a source of gibberish diagrams.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not sure what the SS reference is, but stainless steel is definitely not recommended for electrical wiring of any sort! The "skin effect" of a current passing through a conductor is a characteristic of ac current passing through the conductor. It is less pronounced at high frequencies. I have been considering how relevant this would be in this application as the spark is aunidirectional high frequency discharge, and came to the conclusion that it would need considerable laboratory resources to resolve. As long as decent ht wire is used there should be no problem! The "7mm" spec is a measurement of the outside diameter of the insulation. The copper conductor in most decent ht lead is at least 1 mm squared or the imperial equivalent. The cable which I use to manufacture plug leads is 1.35 mm squared and comprises 16 strands 0.3mm dia copper wire. These leads will shortly be available from

when the website update is completed later this month. There is no point in using carbon-cored leads on a stationary engine, even if they were available with the correct connectors! Their only purpose is to reduce radio interference.

Reply to
THE DOUGLAS STATIONARY ENGINE RESOURCE (admin)

THE DOUGLAS STATIONARY ENGINE RESOURCE (admin) wrote (snip):

I have some 'new, old stock' ht cable which appears to be stainless - silvery colour and non-magnetic but far too hard to be tinned copper. I have used it to make up many plug leads and all I can say is it works whether it is supposed to or not!

Skin effect is more pronounced at higher frequencies if I remember my RF theory correctly.

Yes, one shouldn't over analyze these things ;-)

NHH

Reply to
NHH