Metal spark Plug

My 1200 watt ETQ generator has been miserable. Starts on ether, after endless pulls on the starter cord. Really giving me trouble.
I'm running pure gas, 91 octane. Yes, the gas is a couple months old. But, last week it ran fine in my chain saw. So, it's not totally stale.
I'd heard of Splitfire spark plugs, supposed to be good. Went to Home Depot, they have E3 plugs with a strange end on them. Well, try Lowe's instead. They had the same plug. So, I broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark plug, that's insane.
Got home, put the plug in. Generator started on the 4th pull. No need for ether. I'm pleased.
As with most machines, generator needs to be run now and again.
On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 08:23:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Full tank in storage always. Heavy dose of SeaFoam, Napa part SF16. Prior to storage, either use the little drain button thingy to empty the carb bowl *after* shutting off the supply or simply run the engine to stall.
You should be able to go a full year without a problem.
Works in my genrator, lawnmower, tractors, power washer, snowblower, motorcycles (even the six carb one!), etc.
--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
On 10/9/2013 8:37 AM, Joe "Dufu" wrote:

With a two stroke, I'm told it's not wise to run the carb bowl dry. The last moments when the engine is going around, (but no gas mix coming in) there is no oil mix to lube the innerds.
On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 09:08:58 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Agreed to a point. I think the damage is so minimal as to be unimportant as compared to stale two-stroke fuel with it's oil sheen.
Thankfully, nothing I have is a two-stroke these days!
--
Until you wake up, I will fight for you...

Regards,
On 10/9/2013 9:08 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've heard of people "fogging" the motor with oil but not sure of the procedure.
Tom Gardner wrote:

Basically you buy a can of fogging oil. With the engine running you spray the oil into the intake and shut it down when the engine starts smoking good.
Works good for engines that you want to store for long periods but for a gen-set the best thing is to fire it up at least once a month or so just to make sure it is working and running properly. I also mix SeaFoam in the gas and only run non-booze fuel in mine.
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 09:08:58 -0400, Stormin Mormon

There is still enough oil in the crankcase to protect the engine - actually more important in 2 strokes because mixed gas goes gummy a lot faster than plain gasoline. Just make sure you don't wind it up wide open on restart

Yep. And the carb probably needs to be broke down and cleaned. Most of those have a pretty simple carb fortunately. I've got a little 2600 watt Yamaha, and that's all I have ever had to do to it. Change oil, clean carb, replace air filter. (I buy sheets of filter foam) Ok, once when I let a buddy borrow it I had to replace the 20 amp GFI receptacle on it.
On 10/9/2013 4:54 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

It's very possible it's got some crud. The unit has probably twenty hours or so of run time. Can't remember when I bought it, but I did use it in 2007, think it was, when Lenny had the March 01 power cut. Other than test runs, I've not used it on my own behalf. Not had power cut worth note since 2003, and I like it that way.
I've read some thing that came through my in box, there is a power cut drill on Nov 13, 14, 15 and that might turn into the real deal. So, I'm doing what I can to prepare. I'd rather prepare and be disappointed than, well, other way.
The week leading up, I figure to fill my gas can, wash laundry, wash my coats, blankets, etc. I have some candles for light, and building some solid metal pans so that candle light doesn't turn into house on fire.

Funny how friends can fuck up perfectly good hardware isnt it?

"

The easiest way to stop that is to charge a $50 refundable deposit upon the loan document which states that they pay for repair should anything go wrong. Bad people (who invariably hose things up) will tell you to screw off. (This is a Good Thing, BTW. ;)
Good folks (who care for equipment well) immediately pay it and sign the doc. Any friend who won't do that doesn't deserve to borrow your equipment, period.
Either way, it saves your own arse...most of the time.
--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
On 10/9/2013 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I think there is great merit to that plan. Thanks, great idea.
One other concept is when to help people. I'll step in and help after I've seen evidence that the person did at least SOME THING to help himself.
On 10/9/2013 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Do _you_ do that?

I dunno ... my concept of friendship excludes that. A friend always gets the benefit of doubt and if he screws up he gets shut off. But a deposit and a loan agreement?? I don't think so.
YMMV.
Bob
On 10/9/2013 8:22 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Remember. Friends don't let friends fuck up perfectly good hardware.
Buzzed circuit breaking is drunk circuit breaking.

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in