Spark Plug Quiz

Had an email from Oz, the owner of a Fiat tractor wanted to know what spark plug to fit.

I couldn't find anything on the web, so asked what he had already fitted to the engine.

"there is a champion rn12yc,b8es-njk,njk-br9es,champion-n8..i bought it from a lady who's dad passed away and i do not know what plugs to put in."

So we have:

Champion RN12YC NGK B8ES NGK BR9ES Champion N-8

What did I recommend and on what basis was the choice made ??

The N-8 is equivalent to an NGK B6ES

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I'm not sure about NGK numbers. Champion N8 is a fairly soft, non extended nose, 14mm plug. 8 is the temperature range. BMC A series used N5's before going to extended nose plugs. RN9YC, R =3D resistive for RF supression, N =3D 14mm thread as N8 above, 9 is the temperature range but isn't directly comparable with the N8, Y is extended nose, C is copper cored central electrode. If there was another C, that would be a copper side electrode. The temperature ranges cannot be compared across these two plugs unfortunately. BMC A and B series used N5's before going to N9Y's. The extended nose puts the electrodes into the cooling effect of the cylinder turbulence.

The BR9ES is probably a resistive plug. I would avoid these, they're not needed unless there's a modern stereo or 2 way radio fitted. Even if there is, I would try it without first and only go that route if there's a problem.

How old is the tractor? The older they are, the lower the compression ratio and the softer (hotter running) the plug that's needed. My 1949 Ferguson T20 runs about a 5.7:1 CR and uses an Champion N7 plug. I would suggest that equates to a N12Y extended nose type. I've noted the NGK equivalent for the tractor is BP2ES but I can't remember where that info came from.

Google found this site,

'm sure there's others who might help and supply the plugs needed.

John

Reply to
John

John,

Your the ultimate Anorak.

Martin P

I'm not sure about NGK numbers. Champion N8 is a fairly soft, non extended nose, 14mm plug. 8 is the temperature range. BMC A series used N5's before going to extended nose plugs. RN9YC, R = resistive for RF supression, N = 14mm thread as N8 above, 9 is the temperature range but isn't directly comparable with the N8, Y is extended nose, C is copper cored central electrode. If there was another C, that would be a copper side electrode. The temperature ranges cannot be compared across these two plugs unfortunately. BMC A and B series used N5's before going to N9Y's. The extended nose puts the electrodes into the cooling effect of the cylinder turbulence.

The BR9ES is probably a resistive plug. I would avoid these, they're not needed unless there's a modern stereo or 2 way radio fitted. Even if there is, I would try it without first and only go that route if there's a problem.

How old is the tractor? The older they are, the lower the compression ratio and the softer (hotter running) the plug that's needed. My 1949 Ferguson T20 runs about a 5.7:1 CR and uses an Champion N7 plug. I would suggest that equates to a N12Y extended nose type. I've noted the NGK equivalent for the tractor is BP2ES but I can't remember where that info came from.

Google found this site,

'm sure there's others who might help and supply the plugs needed.

John

Reply to
campingstoveman

Nah, this is

I can't claim all the credit for finding it, the details were posted on another NG. Interesting site though. All you ever wanted to know about spark plug numbers and more. I can see hours of endless amusement here.

John

Reply to
John