Fair price for a SA-200?

Steve and everybody. First, thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.

And speaking of "prayers", and in answer to "what's so special about an SA-200?", on this very group I once read someone describe welding with one "as a near religious experience".

Vernon

Lincoln straight DC generators are generally thought of as having very smooth consistent arc characteristics. This makes them loved by pipe welders, particularly for root beads with XX10 rods. Pipe welders prefer grey welders and structural guys like blue ones. The structural guys have their reasons.

Just my .02 YMMV

Reply to
Private

It's a pure DC generator, and the only one made with no hint of ac ripple in the arc. Miller has never made a DC generator, rectified AC (in all it's forms) is a lesser quality imitation.

The machines are super reliable and have a very long lifespan between overhauls.

But the most important factor is that they are the premier machine for downhill pipeline welding. The pure dc current plus the slope characteristics make this (so far) the best tool for that trade. They have the magic combination of dig and stack that's required in that field. Plus thay are simple and reliable and work every day, all day, when maintained.

The smooth dc arc is also appreciated by people in other fields who can tell the difference. Your run of the mill junk iron welder may not know or care, but some people really do. For that reason you still find these machines in a variety of applications.

If you're looking for a good generator that is capable of welding a bit they are a poor choice, if you're looking for the highest quality welding current (within their amperage range) with a small amount of auxillary power available then they are the machine to have.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

In your opinion what year is best? Why? Do you know a website that has a comparison chart of changes of specification or design?

TIA

Reply to
Private

JT, that's a mighty fine explanation.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think they're all good. There is some probably well founded bias towards the older all copper generators (and the newer ones are the same design), there are people who like the vintage looks of the short cab machines, the red face machines of the 60's are pretty highly thought of. There have been very few changes in these machines over the decades, almost none. The continental flathead designed in the 20's (I believe) was in use till about 1994, current models are only available with a Kubota diesel. I just put a 1980 model on my welding rig and I haven't used it a lot yet but I believe it will weld as well as any I've run. In my line of work we get the opportunity to run a lot of different machines belonging to the welders you work around. So like I said, in good tune, running the right rpm, I think they'll all run really good. My work is mainly downhill piping, and in that work the differences in machines really stands out drastically. The goal (after putting in a solid root pass with no internal undercut) is a machine that will stack the maximum amount of iron per pass, with good sidewall fusion and without burying slag. Those traits speed the downhill process up quite a bit and production is the name of the game in pipeline world.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

A red face has, you guessed it, a red face. The faceplate behind the control knobs is aluminum with red painted background as opposed to black. I'm not exactly certain of the range of years they were red but it was from the very early 60's to either '69 or '70 I believe. I've got a 1969 red face. Keep in mind that replica decals are available that will at first glance turn any machine into a red face.

Anyone that owns or works on these old machines ought to be aware of several sources for information and parts:

Your NAPA or any good local parts house will carry or can get just about anything you need to keep the old girls running strong.

Lincoln's tech department is very helpfull anytime I've called them.

Owners manuals can be downloaded from the Lincoln site.

Continental engine shop manuals are available from Wis-Con Total Power-

1-800-932-2858

DuPont paint code numbers (these can be crossed to PPG or whatever flavor of paint you prefer of course): pre 1991- 6334 '91 to approx. '97- 45832 approx. '97 to present- B8012

replacement decals here:

You can match the year of manufacture to the serial number from this Lincoln chart on my website:

Hopefully this info is helpfull. I get asked some of this so many time a week I think I'll put a SA-200 info page on my site when I get time.

regards, JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

JT,

Steve stole my words before I could speak 'em. Great explanation. Makes me wanna go hug my machines.

Vernon