how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.

Threaded View
what are the possible ways to join very thin -  24  gauge stainless
steel sheet metal to a 24 gauge 1/2 " pipe , without purchasing a TIG
machine.

the joint has to be very clean rust resistant,  food grade \
does not has to be super strong.

think along a micro brewing lines........

thanks

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.
sorry for got to mention ,
already tried silver solder ,and had hard time heating the metal to
the correct temp. actually the flux started burning before the solder
melted, and the burned flux left a black residue which repelled the
solder even more.

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.

You need a high temp black flux to silver solder SS.

Lane

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.
isn't that the B1 stuff (used for brazing chro mo)?

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.
I suspect the silver solder was 'to hard' - e.g. a high temp version.
I got a sample box some years ago with 4-5 temps and then twice that in
diameters.

Diameter might be to high, flux might be ok or lower temp.

IIRC, there is a special flux for Stainless.  Might try searching for info.

Martin

Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.

Very simple.
Zinc Chloride flux and pure tin solder.
Works great on stainless steel.
I use it to seal simplle pans.

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.
Is that the method for mild steel too... like attaching hardware cloth to angle?

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.

Ernie--is this stuff available at Central Welding--or do you
have to get it somewhere else? I poked around on the web and
had a bit of trouble finding pure tin solder.

Also, would my MAPP torch be a good choice here?

Thanks,

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.

Most hardware stores carry pure tin solder in small rolls.
It is required by code for copper pipes used for drinking water.
The Zinc Chloride flux is a litle harder to find.
It is used by a lot of sheet metal shops for soldering galvanized steel
seams.

Solder
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=7&subctg=0&prodgrpid =
364

Flux
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=6&subctg=0&prodgrpid =
78#

Make sure those URLs are all on one line

A mapp torch is perfect for this.

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.

I've got a few rolls of plumbing solder around. Some from Sterling,
which claims to be lead-, antimony-, & nickel-free.

And some 'bridgit' from Harris which has some silver and antimony in it.

The flux from Sterling definately has ZnCl in it (but no other warnings).

The Harris flux has ZnCl, ammonium chloride, some ground up tin/antimony
(95/5) solder to pretin the parts, and some other stuff.

I'd be inclined to use the Sterling solder which flows at 410F--along
with their flux.

For education's sake, is ammonium chloride in the flux inappropriate for
soldering thin stainless or does it not matter?

Also, would silver or some antimony in the solder be problematic?

Forgive me for asking so many questions. I have learned much about
welding, but not so much about soldering and brazing. Mainly only in the
context of sweating pipe.

Jeff Dantzler

Re: how to join thin stainless steel sheet metal.

That I don't know.

Shouldn't be a problem

Site Timeline