Inert gas fittings question (argon)

I have a Victor inert gas regulator. Got myself a inert bottle this morning (see another thread). I also bought an inert gas line. It has fittings on both ends. The salesman said that the fittings are 5/9" NPT, he was not sure and I kind of doubt it. They do fit my welder, however, they do NOT fit the regulator.

The regulator has a "Prestolok" adapter. Looks like it is something for some 3/8" OD plastic tubing. It also appears that the prestolok fitting is screwed into the regulator with 1/4" NPT thread.

So... How do I fit the gas line to the regulator? Can I buy something like a 1/4" to [whatever is the gas line] compression fitting or some such?

thanks...

Ignoramus18555

See

note if you want to view a different CGA adapter just change the last 3 digits of that URL.

It appears you may have gone READY -- FIRE -- AIM, pal. I'd take that regulator and the line you bought back to the welding store on Monday (along with your receipt) and ask them what to do.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, actually, I think that I am all set on the high pressure side. My Victor regulator is a CGA 580. I just verified it.

The issue is the low pressure side, the 20 PSI or whatever it will be. The prestolok fitting on the regulator has nothing to do with the fitting on the inert gas line that I bought.

That said, I must add something that I am thinking currently. I need a much longer gas line anyway. I want the cylinder to sit quietly in the corner of the garage where the compressor is, tied to the wall. And I want to move the welder about, since it is on casters.

So, what I want is to add some compressor line to the inert gas hose, by usual means such as barb fittings and crew hose clamps, etc. If I do that, I would also replace the prestolok fitting with a gas ball valve and regular brass NPT fittings.

So, I will cut off one end of the inert gas line, and would have

High pressure tank -> Victor Regulator -> 1/4" NPT male to male fitting -> ball valve -> 1/4" male to hose barb -> 60ft Compressor hose -> barb fitting to barb fitting -> inert gas line -> fitting that came with inert gas line -> Welder inert gas IN port

It will, I think, do everything that I want and will be safe. Any thoughts?

Ignoramus18555

you can do whatever you want on the low pressure side (hose barb, quick disconnects, whatever).

having a long line between tank and welder is not the best. after you shut the gas off the gas remaining in the line to the welder will most likely bleed out before next use. if your line is long that could mean allot of wasted gas... also means you need to purge longer to get the line full with gas.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

My suggestion is to modify the caster setup under your welder so it will also be usable as a tank cart (easy to design & build, just a little noncritical metal work) and then keep your idea of a short gas line and otherwise do what I suggested earlier which is to go back to the store. Either your regulator isn't up to the job or there *has* to be a common adapter for it. I'm not familiar with prestolok fittings, though.

Neither am I familiar with how easy it is to get a gas-tight connection using a hose barb and clamp arrangement, sorry.

Which model Victor regulator is this? I have a catalog, maybe it would shed some light ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

First off you don't need a regulator you need a flow gauge. Similar but different animals. Now it might be possible to use the regulator and then add a flow meter and valve to it. If you can find a flow meter calibrated for argon cheap enough.

Sounds like a custom setup. The fitting you need to replace is probably available from your welding supplier (in fact there's one like it on the welder except to 1/8" NPT if you'll look close) but check the above before going farther.

Several. Messing with the hose isn't a problem. I've done exactly what you've described several times.

However you may have trouble with the long hose. The problem is that the long hose from the flow meter to the welder acts as a storage tank. When the solenoid on the welder opens there's a big rush of gas till the extra pressure is drained. I'm not sure how bad that'll be with TIG but it plays havoc on MIG from my experience.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

That's a possibility. The issue is that the back of the welder, which is the logical place for the tank holder, is already heavy. The tank is also very heavy (about 200 lbs, WAG), and it could ruin the casters.

Pretty easy, the low pressure is under two atmospheres (20 PSI). Barb fittings can handle much more.

I did it relatively nicely last night, after a late evening trip to home depot (and before seeing Wayne's post).

After a regulator, there is a gas valve. After that, 60 ft of hose. After that, another valve and a short gas line with the inert adapter. So, if I disconnect the hose from the welder, I can keep argon in it by simply closing the valve. The pressure in the hose stays at 20 PSI.

Ignoramus26315

Thanks. I simply unscrewed the prestolok fitting and put in a regular

1/4" NPT nipple.

Thanks Wayne. If I have problems with the long hose, I will make changes. Currently, the regulator is set to 20 PSI, which I think is supposedly good for sensible flow rates. I do not have a flow meter yet.

Ignoramus26315