1/8 Inch Tubing Caps

So, the Nobler is getting its fuel system installed. I'm going whole hog and putting in a uniflow system (double clunk, no less). This means that the fill vent tube needs to be capped after filling and before flight, so the uniflow vent will do its job properly.

I've seen this done with itty bitty caps that fit over the 1/8" brass fuel tubing. These caps are pretty much the same that you see covering other tubes to keep them from taking a chunk out of an innocent bystander or to hold things in, but they are small small small.

Does anyone know where to get such a critter? Or have suggestions for some other convenient way to plug a tube after a tank fill?

Thanks...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Tim Wescott" wrote

Fold the tube over on itself, and put a small alligator clip on it.

Reply to
Morgans

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:18:21 -0400, "Morgans" wrote in :

Tim was talking brass tubes, I think, not silicon. :-O

But if we're allowed to imagine a silicon extension for the brass tube, then a fuel dot would work and be a little neater than the alligator clip.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

You are correct. The brass tubing means that after folding the alligator clip is unnecessary -- but then you land with an empty tank, and your life gets complicated.

Eh. I didn't know about those. I'll have to take a look at what the LHS has to offer (Or make one from billet 6061! Now _that's_ cost-effective!)

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:25:33 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote in :

If you're willing to live with a silicon extension, you could seal it with a machine screw. Not sure what size, but when you find it you could beef it up at one end with a washer (soldered or brazed)--just to make it a little easier to find when you drop it.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Those little guys are in common use with automotive carburators and vacuum systems. Try a auto parts store (the real kind, not a PEP Boys or the like).

Reply to
Tom Minger

Try looking in a junk yard for a rubber vacuum line cap. Most c ars have several vacuum lines plugged off with rubber stoppers.

Failing that, a piece of fuel line plugged with silicone caulk/glue ought to work well.

Reply to
Randy

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:31:50 -0400, "Randy" wrote in :

DOH! I think that's the best (cheapest, quickest, dirtiest) solution yet.

Way to go, Randy!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:31:50 -0400, Randy wrote: (top posting obsessively fixed)

I think I'll go with the fuel dot -- control line models are more fun to fly if they look good from the control handle; a fuel dot means that there won't be _anything_ out of place in the air.

But if I get lazy, or if the LHS doesn't have fuel dots, maybe I'll change my mind...

Reply to
Tim Wescott