.15 size RC airplane engine

would y'all please recommend a .15 RC airplane engine?

i found a set of sig tri-star plans i can build from, and that's the recommended size engine... and of course it's the size i don't have. ;-)

rocannon

Reply to
rocannon

You could go to

and buy a Cox .15. They are one of the hottest .15's ever made.

Reply to
Vance

The nice folks over at

not only stock the excellent Thunder Tiger GP-15 .15 2-stroke motor, but they have good availability on spare parts as well:

I always try to support my local hobby stores, but they don't carry very much from Thunder Tiger. I've ordered several things from
in the past, and always been happy with the service and value. They even tracked down a particular replacement motor mount for me from a favorite old ARF of mine and added it their catalog at my request.

Thunder Tiger makes great stuff, and I'm really glad I've got a good source to find it!

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Magnum .15 XL is a nice little screamer and reasonably priced.

earle

The TT .15 that Ed recommends is what I recommend. It is light, no ball bearings to hassle with and it runs great.

I bought two of these and two plain bearing Enya .15s a while back when Sheldon's Hobbies was selling out their Enya engines.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:30:21 -0500, "Ed Paasch" wrote in :

I like TT GPs, too.

But I'd recommend a .25 GP for your plane.

Or a ball-bearing .19.

A little extra power never hurt anybody.

I had a TT .25 in a SIG Wonder. It was a very nice combo. The mid-air that took its life wasn't the fault of the engine.

Prior to the .25 GP, I had used a Magnum .15. Even when it was working right, it wasn't as much fun to fly as with the .25.

Yes, weight and wing loading went up. I also had rudders on the thing, so that added another couple of ounces. It was nothing like the 50 oz. electric version that I read about being flown successfully.

YMMV.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

ah... that magnum looks nice.

thanks rocannon

Reply to
rocannon

i have an OS .25FX. it's a bit much for the tri-star, but thanks for the suggestion

otoh, i could scale the tri-star up to .25 size... hmmm

rocannon

Reply to
rocannon

"earle" wrote in news:gOydnSUWqJgxR7jYnZ2dnUVZ_t- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

I've had mixed luck with Magnums in general, but I've had a few of the .15XLs and they've all performed great.

Reply to
Mark Miller

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:34:28 GMT, "rocannon" wrote in :

No. If you scale up the plane, then it's a candidate for a TT .40 GP or OS .40 FP or a .32 or .36. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Obvious choice would be the OS LA 15 for about $60. Another one I like (I have 2) is the Norvel BigMig 15 also for $60.

Reply to
Cisco Kid

I like the little OS, but the price is ridiculous.

I'll stick with the $44 and change TT .15. Not to mention the fact that the OS LA series engines are the ugliest engines in existence, right next to Saito engines.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

How about a clean, hardly run K&B Veco .19 Series 71? It will blow the socks of any .15 available today.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I used a Magnum .15 on the Tri-Star. Need hi nitro content fuel. I used some COX fuel I had around. I forget the size prop I put on it.

The Tri-Star is not high performance, so you really do not need a hotter engine.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Nobody

| How about a clean, hardly run K&B Veco .19 Series 71? It will blow | the socks of any .15 available today.

Perhaps, but where would one get such an engine? :) (ebay? ick.)

... | >>> would y'all please recommend a .15 RC airplane engine?

Personally, for a 0.15 sized plane, I'd probably just go electric. But that's just me.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:30:34 GMT, "Doug McLaren" wrote in :

I'd go with a Thunder Tiger .25 GP.

Light, cheap, durable (plain bearing), forgiving.

I went from a Magnum .15 XLS to a TT .25 GP in a Sig Wonder. I was very happy with the results.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I have one, will sell for US$50 which will include motor mount and shipping.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

There's alot of good info here for finding .15 engines, but what if you

in the exact opposite situation? I have an O.S. 15 LA and am trying t find a good kit to put it in. I was considering the HOB Spacewalker bu I'm not 100% sold on it. Anybody know of any good kits/plans/ARF's fo the .15? What about electric to glow conversions

-- talonl

----------------------------------------------------------------------- talonlm's Profile:

this thread:

talonlm

Check out the Mini Fledgling (scroll down) Built light, a .15 should haul it OK. They're fine fliers! Electric to glow conversions may need to be beefed up due to the added vibration of a glow engine.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

The Thunder Tiger Dragonfly .15 ARF might be a fun choice:

It's listed in the trainer section, but by most accounts it's fast and aerobatic. It flies more like a stik than a trainer.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Paasch