.15 size RC airplane engine

------------

Yeah, but I'm worried about the weight. Below are the specs.

---------------

Specification

Wing Span: 44 " Length: 35.25 " Weight: 37 - 40 lbs. Engine: .10- .15 2-Cycle Radio: 3-4 Channel

---------------

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The best 15 size plane I ever flew is the Wicked Wanda from the RCM catalog. Easy to build, a dream to fly. It's like a miniature Bingo. I've built them with both 10 and 15 FP engines, and the 15 is just right. This could be the perfect plane.

Another really great airplane was the Caprice 15 ARF that a couple of my friends had, but that was well over ten years ago and I don't know if this plane is still available.

tal> There's alot of good info here for finding .15 engines, but what if your

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

-------------

I owned and flew a Caprice 15 in 1994. Its covering was butt-ugly, but the model flew amazingly well. I first powered mine with an OS .20FP, which provided infinite vertical.

I then swapped the two-stroke out for an OS FS-20 four-stroke, which turned out to be just right. Folks were amazed that the little model took off from our thick grass field and taxied as well as it did, which was perfectly.

I hadn't thought of the Avistar comparison, but that is a good one. I always thought of it as a mini Hobbistar 60, but it was much more nimble than the Hobbistar 60, which flies more like a B-36.

I wish they would resurrect the Caprice 15 ARF again, but this time cover the wings with translucent blue with the remainder being white with matching blue trim. This model fills a unique niche that lots of folks enjoy. Come on, Global. Get the lead out!

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

That reminds me of my second RC airplane, an H-ray. It flew very well with an OS-15 (still in the box of good/old stuff) even with the high weight of 3 channels of a Bonner 8 installed.

But that includes the weight of the dog who is going along for the ride. Not bad.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I agree completely with Ed. The Caprice dates back to the era of ARF-o-kote, which was miserable stuff. The Caprice green color scheme looked like they had a contest to see who could come up with the worst design. But the plane itself was one of the best.

A friend of mine had one of these just a few years ago with the red/white color scheme, which was only a little better. A rough landing tore the landing gear off, and we stuck it firmly in place with a big glob of epoxy. As I recall, the front end was none too fuel proof, either. That particular plane was old enough by the time he ended up with it that the wings had tons of tape patches on them, even though it hadn't had a lot of air hours. My friend was the one who came up with the Avistar comparison. He was an Avistar junkie, so he would know. He wanted me to build him a Caprice replica, except with better structure than the original. A worthy cause, I think.

Anybody want to draw up a set of plans for a Caprice? There really aren't a lot of planes available in .15 size.

Ed Cregger wrote:

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Reply to
fubar1

Here maybe? mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Ah. Thanks. Looks to me like a high wing Kaos...

Reply to
fubar1