1st foamy...

Just finished my first ever foamy, an Edge 540 loosely based on the

3DFoamy version and have a balance question...

Power is an E-flight 400 920Kv outrunner swinging an 11x4.7 prop, E-flight 20 Amp ESC and 3cell 1320MaH LiPo. Rx is a GWS 6 channel micro receiver and servos are HiTec HS55 micros..

Got the CG right on the money, got my radio set up properly and set the ESC for 3.0v/cell cutoff, soft start, no brakes and gave it a whirl..

WOW! Talk about thrust! I was able to hover the thing in my kitchen at a little less than half throttle... Can't wait for daylight so I can give it a test flight...

I've got the motor set up with no thrust angles, but I notice it likes to turn towards the battery side of the airplane in a hover. I've got the RX, speed control and 3 of the 4 servos (each aileron has it's own servo) on the side opposite the battery in an attempt to balance the thing laterally. Should I add some right thrust to compensate for the left turning tendency?? Will that take care of the rolling tendency it's going to have when it's horizontal due to the weight difference side to side??

lastly, what's a good starting point for aileron differential to compensate for adverse yaw??

Thx!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Hi Kevin-

For lateral balance, it is easy enough to push a couple of brads into the "light" wingtip while holding the prop and a with a finger under the rear fuselage to check for balance. Aileron differential is a good thing for planes that only fly upright. Not a good thing for a 3D model. It will compound adverse yaw in inverted flight. Same goes for right thrust - it's left thrust when inverted. Train your left thumb to work the rudder (easier said than done - I'm still workin' on it).

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

hehe, that's gonna be a lot of brads out on the right wingtip to offset the battery...

Good point.. Hadn't thought of that..

Rudder isn't a problem. I think I'm one of the few RC guys that believe in making coordinated turns - and I can hover the snot out of the Edge 540 in G2. :)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego