540 motors

Are 540's worth bothering with? I have finished up with four virtually new Johnson 540's and wondered if it was worth fitting them as I dont know the power output compared to a 600,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

Well none of the can motors are that good.. but a decent 540 should net you 150-200W at about 50-60%..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Would it improve things with a 2:1 gearbox? with four almost new motors spare its a shame for them to go in the junk box so maybe at some later date I can gear them down and wrap a Lancaster round them or something.............;-)

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

Ohy for a lanc unelss you can get sort of 19x15 three bladers, run em ungeared.

Otherwise I sue em on mice 60" old timers with 3.5 gearboxes and 11" props.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher