Ambroid shelf life?

I have an unused tube of Ambroid cement with a date on the price tag of 1-26-06. Should it still be okay a year later? I've never used Ambroid
before, but it smells like hobby shops used to.
Thanks, Vicki
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:50:47 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

If it's still liquid, it's fine. I had a tube in my flight box for over 20 years which had dried out at the ends. When I cut the end off, the liquid stuff in the center still glued up just fine. Couldn't save it any more once I cut it but it did the "last gasp" job I required of it.
Faithful tube, that one. Sniff . . . Such dedication. -- Ray
Hell, yes- that's about 10 years newer than the one I'm currently using. With all the other glues we have nowadays, you just don't need Ambroid that often, but when you do, almost nothing else will do. I( can just picture myself trying to glue a tear in tissue covering with CA glue. That wouldn't be a good match.     The one that has a really good smell is Sigment- smells like Ambroid used to, years ago before they included the so-called oil of mustard to keep people from sniffing it. Sig just kept on making theirs the way they always had, and ignored political correctness, to their credit.                Paul
Victoria Heisner wrote:

Good Lord man, I got a tube (the big 25 cent size) for Christmas once. I must have been in 8th grade. It lasted until I graduated and left for the service. I guess Mom threw it out along with some of my other treasures. Tom Mix pearl handled pocket knife, several secret decoder pins, a autographed picture of Jimmy Allen and others I hesitate to mention as they bring tears to my eyes.
Red S.

I find that Ambroid is THE glue to use for sheeting, since it sands much better than any other I know of. I was almost out, so bought a new tube last week. The hobby shop had a whole box of Sigment in stock, but only one tube of Ambroid left. Must be a lot of us old farts around here with whom the Ambroid name is still synonymous with model airplane glue!
Since my old tube was about six years old, my one concern is that they'll quit making it before I need another one!

When I went looking for Sigment, I had to go to a couple of places before I found it. Forgot all about this type of glue till it was suggested for sheeting a particular kit I was building. Now I only use the Sigment for sheeting. The odor when I first opened the tube was a blast from the past. Bought 2 tubes and have used maybe 5% of the 1st tube.
--
Dan
AMA605992

Thanks for the info guys. I only qualify as junior level old fart, so I had never used Ambroid, but had read in "There Are No Secrets" how it was great for sheeting and any other part that was on the exterior of a plane.
Now that I've used it, I've seen that it is *GREEEEAAAAATTTTT Stuff*! The difference is easily noticeable (for the first time I could run my fingers over a glue joint and not be able to feel where it is). So now I'm going to use in on solid sheet tail feathers, external fuse bits, leading edges, trailing edges, and all sheeting. Anything with an exterior bit.

I've used up my first tube, so yesterday I went to the LHS to get another one. He is completely out and said that it's been on back-order for 2 months now. According to towerhobbies and a couple of other places online (turnertoys.com and hobbylinc.com), the manufacturer has temporarily discontinued the cement, but it should be in stock "in a couple of months". It's good to know that Sig is still currently making sigment since they are the people I usually order from anyway.
Vicki