Ambroid shelf life?

I have an unused tube of Ambroid cement with a date on the price tag of

1-26-06. Should it still be okay a year later? I've never used Ambroid before, but it smells like hobby shops used to.

Thanks, Vicki

Reply to
Victoria Heisner

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:50:47 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Victoria Heisner instead replied:

If it's still liquid, it's fine. I had a tube in my flight box for over 20 years which had dried out at the ends. When I cut the end off, the liquid stuff in the center still glued up just fine. Couldn't save it any more once I cut it but it did the "last gasp" job I required of it.

Faithful tube, that one. Sniff . . . Such dedication.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Reply to
Paul Ryan

Good Lord man, I got a tube (the big 25 cent size) for Christmas once. I must have been in 8th grade. It lasted until I graduated and left for the service. I guess Mom threw it out along with some of my other treasures. Tom Mix pearl handled pocket knife, several secret decoder pins, a autographed picture of Jimmy Allen and others I hesitate to mention as they bring tears to my eyes.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I find that Ambroid is THE glue to use for sheeting, since it sands much better than any other I know of. I was almost out, so bought a new tube last week. The hobby shop had a whole box of Sigment in stock, but only one tube of Ambroid left. Must be a lot of us old farts around here with whom the Ambroid name is still synonymous with model airplane glue!

Since my old tube was about six years old, my one concern is that they'll quit making it before I need another one!

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

When I went looking for Sigment, I had to go to a couple of places before I found it. Forgot all about this type of glue till it was suggested for sheeting a particular kit I was building. Now I only use the Sigment for sheeting. The odor when I first opened the tube was a blast from the past. Bought 2 tubes and have used maybe 5% of the 1st tube.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

In quatrain 5-97, Nostradamus predicted that on Sat, 10 Mar 2007 07:31:24

-0800, in message , Geoff Sanders would say:

Thanks for the info guys. I only qualify as junior level old fart, so I had never used Ambroid, but had read in "There Are No Secrets" how it was great for sheeting and any other part that was on the exterior of a plane.

Now that I've used it, I've seen that it is *GREEEEAAAAATTTTT Stuff*! The difference is easily noticeable (for the first time I could run my fingers over a glue joint and not be able to feel where it is). So now I'm going to use in on solid sheet tail feathers, external fuse bits, leading edges, trailing edges, and all sheeting. Anything with an exterior bit.

I've used up my first tube, so yesterday I went to the LHS to get another one. He is completely out and said that it's been on back-order for 2 months now. According to towerhobbies and a couple of other places online (turnertoys.com and hobbylinc.com), the manufacturer has temporarily discontinued the cement, but it should be in stock "in a couple of months". It's good to know that Sig is still currently making sigment since they are the people I usually order from anyway.

Vicki

Reply to
Victoria Heisner