Types of liquid "cement" for bonding non-clear stryene Preferred

Greetings Friends, While attending an IPMS show/contest I found myself listening to several gentlemen who had a vastly greater fund of knowledge on the various types of cements for styrene than did I.. Several liked the Testors "Black diamond shaped" container. One fellow said he swore off the Testors because they supposedly changed the formulation. (it appears to be the same stuff I've been using the past 2 years??? was the change for better or worse???) Others were very pleased with Tenax 7R "plastic welder" which is supposed to be non-flammable and is a "no hazard from sniffing" product. (Tenax appears to be the most expensive and shares the problem of evaporation with Ambroid)

The one person who holds Guru status IMHO has introduced me to Ambroid, (but alas, was not in on the conversation as I would have liked very much to hear his opinion)... I'm pleased to say that I followed his advise and have used the Ambroid and except for problems with the product evaporating (probably my fault) and my dropping 2 bottles, (absolutely my fault) such that the jury is still out on preference (due to shortage of available material), so far I can't find any fault with Ambroid except that it's a little tricky for a newbie like me. I will say that the more I use, and the less I drop, the better I get at using it, that is, I get a "neater-glue-job." When I mentioned Ambroid, several of the fellows said something like *Pooh (sanitized for GP rating) Ambroid is nothing but MEK. (Methel Ethyl Keytone) I know what MEK is, it's hazards and handling rules. I confess to complete ignorance with respect to Ambroid--with that said, I trust the person who recommended it to me without question or reservation. Can anyone with expertise in the area of bonding styrene help me understand the difference between Ambroid, Tenax 7R, and MEK (when used as a liquid cement) aside from the cost. Thanks for your time and assistance, Regards, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple

The best glue on the market, that is glue strictly formulated for model building and scratchin' styrene is Tamiya "Extra Thin" liquid cement in the square, green capped bottle. In my 35 years this is the finest glue I have ever used.

The only problem is it is hard to find! The requirement for English language safety labeling is keeping it from reaching the market in any great quantity. Tamiya (and Gunze Mr. Surfacer) have been reluctant to label as per fed govt. regulation. I have only found it for sale at shows.

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

Wow, I was not aware of such a regulation. I just recently bought a bottle of "Mr. Surfacer", at "Our Favorite Austin Hobby Shop"....and as I look at it here....you are correct...there is no English on the bottle. (other than the brand name)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I prefer Testors clear liquid cement, in the bottle with a brush. I prefer it over chemical "plastic welders" like Tenax because it has a working time - i.e. - it doesn't bond "instantly".

It may (read probably does...) have MEK in it...but I don't pay much attention to that, as long as it works.

Reply to
Rufus