A Long Hello...Again

Yep!

And if an IC engine hits you, the second whack is much less and the third whack will stop it. With an electric motor, the current just goes up and the power is still there and it just knocks you out of the way. When I have had an electric motor start out of spite on the work bench, I have the "Search for the Holy Grail" response..."RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!"

Well, maybe you should learn to keep your body parts free of the winch line. I have a scar under a ring. The line hooked under my ring just as some one stepped on the switch. I was lucky.

I learned after the first time...and be careful with rings around big cells when soldering tabs on them. The closest I have come to crash and burn was when an ESC failed in the "on" mode and it let a 5-turn cobalt run the 1.7 ah batteries down to zip. I had charred balsa all around the ESC but balsa, being a non-resinous wood, just charred instead of setting itself alight. I had the motor timed pretty far farward and I ruined the armature and had to get that replaced. When it comes to stupid mistakes, I am one of the more imaginative.

Ken

Ken Cashion

Gotcha'...now I understand the comment about where you are going to keep these things...have you considered making a room in one of them?

I tell you, Ed, I have been fortunate with my hands...considering rough necking in the oil fields and such, but I have seen some incredibly screwed up hands make beautiful music. I will send you a link via e-mail. Give this guy a listen. there are pictures of him, as well. Watching and listening to him, makes me ashamed of my playing.

I usually ask -- Is the guitar an investment? Are you going to brag to your buds about what you play? How much you paid for it? Or are you going to try to make music on it?

Those are the questions to ask. I have played a few $6,000 handbuilts and you know what? I still sound mediocre. I need a $6,000 guitar to sound mediocre? I don't think so...

I have enough problems and spending time on the computer with the writing. I put together a recording console in the studio...which is still to unstable to use. I like having big chunks of stuff with jillions of LEDs and patch panels and wires all over the floor. Ken

Ken Cashion

Ken, unfortunately you are right. I had the distinct displeasure for working as a computer systems contractor at a NASA site around the time of the Challenger, and it was unbelievable the. Common business safeties were not in place, used, or thought about in major heavy computer systems I was responsible for. I found the mindset incomprehensible and unworthy of my lowly efforts.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:28:31 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Ken Cashion

"Ken Cashion" wrote

I assembled a Heathkit GD-19. My first rig on the "new" 72 MHz band.

Later, I built over a dozen Bantam Midget servos and Commander Receivers.

Unfortunately, I also assembled a Commander Transmitter with those abominabal plastic open gimbal sticks (D&R). You had to clean the stick pots every weekend or two in order to fly. They used the same CTS servo pots in the D&R sticks.

The servos and receivers worked great.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I know what you mean about noise. It isn't as though I chose to become this way. It just sort of snuck up on me.

Some of the guitar amps I mentioned obtaining are so loud, even at their minimum settings, that I can't stand to use them. (sigh)

I am beginning to remember seeing your name too. I just haven't gotten the "click" yet that will fill in the details.

There were a few Kens over the years, IIRC.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Hi Ken

I don't know if you remember me but we were in the Northshore RC Club back when. You know, when it wasn't a landfill. I'm up in Carriere now, and was wondering where you found to fly. I've got a Flatana, a Lil Rascal, and some other electrics and half A's that I'd like to find a steady place close by for. I can fly the Flatana in my front yard but a little more room would be nice.

I got lucky and only lost a few shingles. My mother-in-law got 3 feet. She's living with us until I can get her place done, so my flying and personal time is limited.

PS If you need some help getting your shop in order let me know. I've got a good selection of tools and a couple of big house jacks if you need them. My time is limited but it's yours if I'm free. Post back to the board, or take out the doesntneedspam to get a valid email addy.

Reply to
John Alt

Hello, John! The park just north of the house lost some more trees recently to cutters. I will go out today and see what sort of shape it is in. I wouldn't fly IC out there, but the guy who maintained it for years and I was friends and he would come out and watch me and a buddy fly e-power. And this included 116" duration electric. I will check back with you via e-mail after I look.

It was a rough one John. A friend on the coast lost his wife and we know of others that didn't make it...one's body will most likely never be found. As always, we are not good; we are lucky.

That is so kind of you, John. I am losing patience with the religious guy who keeps lying to me but his crew is good and have done a bunch of what I need done. I will suffer along shop-less a while longer. I can tip-toe in and remove things and if I want to fly, I can find a few more square feet here in the study for models, xmitter, chargers, and batteries. Look to here further from me anon.

Ken

Ken Cashion

A good friend of mine has a basement full of giant scale models. For Christmas I gave him a Clancy Lazy-E-Bee. I wondered about his reaction to the little critter. So far it has been positive.

I have to admit that I never imagined that I would be this taken with electric models. Of course, I tend to view them differently than the young folks, but that is okay.

As you said, electrics open up the possibility of flying model types that I simply would not have bothered with if I had to use multiple IC engines or IC powered ducted fans.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

Sorry to hear about your catastrophic storm damage and the fact that you aren't back where you want to be. But, glad that you have a good attitude and outlook for the present and the future. I wish the best of luck and brightest future for you Ken.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Morris

I have been having trouble with my ISP...charter.net. They are trying to help but they don't know if they have a storm damage related problem down here or if there is a server problem at some node. I am reduced to using Google rather than my old Agent. E-mail works fine...Outlook Express doesn't access the newsnet nor does my Agent newsreader. I can couple to Google once on line. My connect speed might be 441 kbps or 2.44 mbps in any given hour. Thanks for the kind words. I still no info on when I can expect to have the studio/shop back in service. I am hopeful it will be this month. We count time in months now rather than days. It has been six months since the hurricane and we still have cleanup crews on our street. We are hoping they will get it clear in the next four months...because that will be the start of hurricane season. Does anyone here use charter.net and a news reader to use this group? If they do, please e-mail me.

Ken

Reply to
kcashion

Charter hasn't been Usenet-friendly in a while. I had them for a couple of years when I lived in Slidell. They farmed out usenet access to some third party and the number of groups available, and the number of posters that got through on them, went down. I couldn't see Red or any other Bellsouth posters after the switch. Charter, as you will see, doesn't care whether or not your Usenet account is working. They will get around to fixing it at their leisure. You might try accessing the group through one of the free servers.

Reply to
John Alt