Portable small sander

Hi,

Does anyone know if a small portable self contained portable battery operated sander about the size as follows; 2 x 3 x 6 inches and a sanding disk about 3", small enought to be moved by one hand and heavy enough so it will stay put while sanding angles on balsa strips up to

1/2 " square?

It will cut down on assembly time for parts such as need to have angles for joining. If you know, could you provide info as to availability and where?

Or would anyone knows how to make one?

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

I'm not familiar with electric sanders but......lately I've been using a 1X4 about 12" long with 60 grit sand paper glued to it with 3M77 spray. It great for taking down lots of balsa fast. On the "Rookie" you must make a leading edge out of rectangle stock! That's the only drawback on that kit. mk

Reply to
MK

I used a small sanding block and sometimes a board like yours. But the sanded surface isn't always flat, sometimes even convex. I'd very much to see in a small portable with a flat sanding table much like the regular sanders. That way the sanded surface would be true. That's why I want to see if there is a ready made small portable sander as described in my original post. And if not, could anyone suggest how to build one?

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

This is a common construction method. The best way to shape that leading edge is with a balsa plane. I use the one from Master Airscrew.

Protect your sheeting with low tack masking tape and plane the block down until it's a smooth extension of the sheeting. Then mark a center line down the flat leading edge and get after it with plane. It's faster, more accurate and doesn't make near the mess that sanding does. Then finish up with a long sanding block with fine paper.

Once you have a balsa plane you won't know how you got along without it.

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

I second that! I just finished using my Master Airscrew razor plane to shape the tops of the turtle deck and bevel the control surface LEs on my AK Models .46 Sukhoi SU-26 kit. Used it for the wing LEs and for shaping the verious filler blocks too. It is inexpensive, easy to use, effective, accurate, and eliminates a lot of balsa dust in the shop.

When I heard it was handy to have a plane, I bought a miniature block plane. It looked like a dwarf version of something you'd see in a woodworker's shop. It cost much more than the little MA razor plane. It sucked. The cheaper, simpler Master Airscrew plane was worlds better. Can't build without it!

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
desmobob

The balsa plane works great - his question doesn't apply to leading edges.

Reply to
zara

Enh? Maybe the original question wasn't about leading edges but MK sure was talking about shaping a leading edge.

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

Not battery powered but will allow compound angles... Well worth the money for hobby work..

Harbor Freight offers a lotta bargains for the hobbyist... While not top quality stuff, their tools will get the job done in many cases...

Cheers,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Thanks, Bill. I think you have shown me what I need. I know it's not cordless but better than the one I rigged up with a cordless drill, though it only cost me about two bucks.

There is a local Harbor Freights here and I will call and see if they have one in stock.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

I am back to report on how your suggestion turned out. I called the local Harbor Freights and was told they didn't have the sanders in stock. I then used the web site you sent me and ordered one. It arrived this morning and I found it to be very good, though not cordless. Tested it on balsa wood and is accurate in the angles and flat ends that I need.

Thanks again, Bill.

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

I have had very good luck with their products. No, they are not for snobs, but they work and you can't beat the total price.

Their little woodstove that I ordered for $149.95 a few years ago (included shipping) would cost that much to ship just about anywhere today.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Glad we could help, Wan...