A Quick Question

Will a clip-on glow starter work with a Cox .049 motor or will I have to invest in a head that uses standard glow plugs to use one?

i used to use one of these
http://www.bmi-models.com/images/tumbs/2365.gif
the ones with the battery built in (which i think your talking about) will probably be too powerfull and fry your element
but make sure you use the lowest power output from your power panel, or you'll blow the glow element, there very sensative on the .049's

No, they won't fry the element, but the standard glo driver will not clip onto the cox glo head. It would make more sense to get a clip that attches to the glo head than to replace the entire head - although many people do just for the convenience of using standard glo plugs.

You can make an adapter for the glow igniter to hook onto a Cox glow clip.
Take a mono headphone jack, 1/8". Hook the center conductor (tip) to the red wire of the Cox glow clip. Hook the outside conductor to the blue wire of the Cox glow clip. Slide a 1/8" wheel collar onto the headphone plug, all the way up, so it is just past the tip insulator.
Now, you have an arrangement that looks like a glow plug, to your standard clip on glow igniter. You can use your battery to power the plug.
You can also use an adapter like that to charge your battery, or .... whatever you want to do with it. I made a dowel rod with a wire going to a screw on each end so that it was the length of an AA battery. That way, I can charge my glow igniter with a standard rechargeable battery charger. Lots faster, and it shuts off at the correct time.
You may find that using your rechargeable battery for the Cox glow plug may not work very well. They are designed to use a regular battery, that has 1/4 volt more than your rechargeable.
I made a Cox igniter by soldering 2 D cells in parallel to a Cox glow clip. It will last for a very very long time. If that is not long enough, use 4 D cells.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans wrote:

You know, its almost worth buying a glo engine just to try that trick out...
But no., I discovered a cheap electric motor weighs the same with its pack and is just as capable of making that abominable whine, and cutting your hands to ribbons, as a Babe Bee.

Yep, although I don't fly the little Cox stuff very often, I think a 4 D cell setup I made lasted through 4 seasons!
Plenty of amps available for clearing flooded engines, don't 'cha know! ! !
You just need to find some perfume, so you can still get that wonderful smell a Baby Bee makes!
--
Jim in NC

Ed Smega wrote:

We used to run these off a 2V lead acid battery, and they pretty much always started instantly. Just as well cost they damned near melted outright n that voltage.
Should be fine on a 1.2V Nicad...but I'd get and adaptor and an old glo plug, and connect the two, so you have a 'cox specific' glo clip that plugs into a standard starter thing.