Slowstick, Futuba, Dubro & Holes

I'm building a Slowstick. Bought a Futuba radio w/ 2x S3110 servos from the LHS at the same time as the Slowstick.

Slowstick control rods are 0.055" piano wire. Holes in Futuba servo arms are about #67 drill, probably 1/32" (0.032). Not going to fit. Anybody understand the forces/strength of materials involved enough to advise if reaming out servo arm holes to 0.055" is acceptable?

Clever boy went back to LHS to buy Dubro EZ connectors. Pin is about

1/16" (ie too big), hole for control rod looks like 3/64"/ 0.0469" (ie too small). Reaming servo to fit the pin looks doable, making a jig to hold the EZ while reaming the rod hole looks ugly. Any suggestions?

I'm tempted to solder up something with brass tubes and thinner wire, but presumably they pick 0.055" wire for a reason.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote

Don't try to use a mechanical engineer's tolerances on this problem. It is not needed, will not make the plane fly any better or reliably. My dad had this problem, being a retired M.E. You have to know when precision is needed, and when it is not. It is not, in this case.

Grab the easy connecter in a pair of pliers, bench vise or vise grips, eyeball it and drill it out with the correct sized drill bit.

Go with high bit speed, and low feed speed/pressure to keep it from grabbing. If it is a little over sized or out of square, I guarantee that you will never notice it affecting how the plane flies.

Reply to
Morgans

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:47:39 -0400, "Morgans" wrote in :

Totally agree.

I made some reamers out of scrap servo wire.

I don't have enough drill bits to get the right match.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I think you guys misread the problem with the easy connectors. The pin on the easy connector is bigger than the hole in the arm. Two solutions: Get the park flyer type easy connectors which have a much smaller "pin". Drill out the hole in the servo arm. The forces you run into with a Slow Stick will not break the drilled out hole provided you only drill it out just enough for the pin or rod to go in. Of all the Slow Sticks I have destroyed I have NEVER had the servo hole bust out even though the rest of the plane is a crumpled heap. My father and I sometimes "combat" our Slow Sticks and if one of us manages to cut the rubberbands holding on the wing, the rest of the Slow Stick will lawndart into the ground. I keep small pieces of control rod in many diff diameters. I use a lighter or butane torch to heat one end of the scrap rod then use it to ream out the hole to the rod's size. In the case of the easy connec pin, you need to use the proper size drill bit. I honestly can say that I have never had one of the holes break out whatever the size and type of plane its on. Even in crashes where the servo itself was destroyed.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Reply to
Chris

"Fubar of The HillPeople" < wrote

I see. I also agree; I've never had a problem drilling a servo arm, either. Go for it.

Reply to
Morgans

Don't make the hole in the servo arm too big, slop. mk (who has wrecked hard enough to break servo arms)

Reply to
MJKolodziej