Acetone used to transfer photocopy parts to balsa

This month's Flygin Models included a quick note in the "Letters" section on transferring parts drawings from photocopy shhets to balsa sheets for cutting.

I've tried it with dry irons and last night with my wife's nail polish remover (acetone plus other stuff). Results were really iffy -- one or two portions of lines were transferred easily, everything else was too faint to be useful.

What was I doing wrong? Should I have put a weight on the sheet after soaking with with acetone to ensure the transfer? Should I have used pure acetone?

Since acetone is a flammible, I already know that the rags and such go outside into the garbage. Any other precautions that I should be taking beside not breathing the fumes?

Bruce aka "Whee in Aurora....."

Reply to
byrocat

I use dope thinners and do my own laser prints.

The best method is to lay te drawing face down on the wood, and get a pad - sponge , loo paper or cotton wool - and soak it in thinners, then squeeze out.

Wipe that firmly over the paper till it JUST goes translucent, Not enough and its too faint, too much and the ink runs.

Practice makes - if not perfect - good enough, to cut from.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Photocopy works better when the plans are copied on a reasonably dark setting. Puts more toner onto the paper, which can then transfer to paper.

Don't use acetone I think methanol is safer. For the environmentally concious I'm told vinegar works as well.

Hot iron, which is unlikely to reach the flash point of methanol or vinegar......does vinegar have a flashpoint? IIRC most photocopier fusers run around the 90C mark.

Have to admit I've never done this but the other half has for some sewing stuff. Vinegar is what she used, can't recall how the results were other than she did it.

Reply to
The Raven

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:17:01 +1100, "The Raven" wrote in :

Photocopiers can introduce small distortions in the copy.

Some copiers used to routinely shrink the copy 1% or 2% in one direction.

If you're doing small parts, it probably won't matter. The bigger the part, the bigger the problem.

If you want to do big parts, you should test the copier by copying a ruler and seeing how well the copy compares to the original in both the X- and Y-axis. Then try to orient all the parts the same way on the copy so that the distortion is at least consistent.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

A valid point but given you're rarely dealing with A3 sizes or larger (metric paper here folks, not that US weird stuff) you won't get much inaccuracy. Another point to consider is how accurate such a transfer process will be on the balsa, will the transfer be 100% and how accurate are our cutting skills.

I used to work in the printing industry so I could also suggest to measure the paper before and after copying. While this is unlikely to yield any measurable difference large printed sheets can stretch by up to 5mm. So, for the big plan boys consider how accurate your plan really is.........

Reply to
The Raven

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:02:05 +1100, "The Raven" wrote in :

I became aware of the problem when I was trying to tape four or five pages together to make a pattern for an Ultra Sport 40 fuselage (if I remember correctly).

The deviation was enough to be visible to my eye and led me to find out about the auto-reduction on our copier. It didn't make any difference to the construction of the fuselage. I think I used a yardstick to straighten out the lines and--of course!--sanded and sanded and sanded until the fuselage looked OK. It's still flying--after I broke the wing that went with it, I sold it and a TT .46 to a friend who had a good wing and no fuse.

Yes. I'm sure I can't cut and sand to 99% accuracy. :o)

If I've got the terms in the right order, what we need is a certain amount of precision so that parts that are supposed to fit together do fit together, while accuracy doesn't matter so much (except in scale judging).

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

If you want ACCURATE parts, have a copy of the plans made at a reputable place (Kinkos or a blueprint shop ) and cut the parts from the plan and use either a glue stick or rubber cement or 3M #77 (spray a LIGHT coat ) to adhere the cut out parts to the wood. It takes alittle longer, but the parts are not distorted.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

The method I usually employ for small items is to scan in the relevant part from the original plan.

Load the scanned image into my usual photo manipulation software and crop as necessary.

Finally print this image using printer on to thin card.

Cut round printed image to make template.

Generally speaking I have found this method to be pretty accurate.

Granted, this method takes longer but the main benefit is that the plan remains intact.

The templates can be retained for future use (repairs etc.)

Al

byrocat wrote:

Reply to
Algy