Adios 94102Z

Isn't it strange how one little mishap can lead to another and eventually a great calamity? I had a recent experience like this when I got some CA + on one of the leads on my 94102Z servo cable. I was CAing a little wooden block of plywood onto a a wing spar to hold down the front portion of my servo. Unfortunately some of it dripped down along the spar and pooled up. As you know, CA doesn't dry up or harden when it's clumped up.

Anyway, I installed the servos, but later, I had to remove them. One of the cables got mixed up in the CA and the insulation came off as I removed it. "Damn it," I thought when I examined the damage the CA did to the cable, so I ordered a new lead for the servo.

Now the real fun began. I removed the four screws holding the servo together thinking replacing the lead would be a piece of cake. As soon as the unit came apart, I had a premonition of impending doom or disaster. The leads were soldered into a tiny printed circuit board covered with various little electronic gizmos. I started unsoldering the leads one-by-one replacing them as I went. I soon began to realize I had made a terrible mistake and that I likely needed a new prescription for my glasses when I could barely see where the leads went!

Well I finished installing the lead and put the servo back together, and guess what? The little bugger didn't work (big surprise!). The motor ran continuously forcing the servo arm in one direction. It would have probably burned out if I hadn't shut it off. Obviously the servo was getting power (red and black wires) but not a signal from the blue.

I screwed around with it for a couple of more hours and finally gave up in frustration. I installed another servo while the old Airtronics mocked me from my workbench. I hate to throw anything away, so I'll give it to anyone for gratis (even free postage) that wants it!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

I have done similar. I usually just splice the servo wire where it comes out of the case and shrink wrap it.(just ordered 4' of 1/16" shrink wrap from allerc). I may have a hs 55 is the same condition. :) mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

What you need is a 8 - 12 watt soldering iron, a magnifying light, something to hold the servo while you work on it and some very fine solder.

Non-shakey hands also help.

Also leave the gears out of the servo and power it up after a repair to check that you can reverse the motor by moving the servo pot shaft. If that works then put the gears back in.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott