Aerobird Extreme MOSFET transistor?

Can you believe it? First flight, slight crash. Nothing obvious broken. However motor won't go. Look inside, the black wire is off the circuit board. Great. Now that must of been soldered on well in China! Pull the bloody thing apart, resolder the black wire... still doesn't go. Further investigation, what I now know to be the MOSFET, (the transistor that does all the motor control) is physically broken. First flight, slight crash. Now, do you think you can buy a new circuit board as a part from HobbyZone? No. Can you buy a new MOSFET as a part from HobbyZone? No. Can you the correct MOSFET from anywhere? Yes, in lots of 400!

Can anyone help me with where I can get the correct or replacement MOSFET from? It's a PHP98N03LT apparently very specialized. I'm hoping HobbyZone will come to the party and supply a new circuit board, we'll see. It seems crazy that I need to buy a whole new fuselage just to get the circuit board! HELP!!!

Reply to
Mack

: Can anyone help me with where I can get the correct or replacement MOSFET : from? It's a PHP98N03LT apparently very specialized. : I'm hoping HobbyZone will come to the party and supply a new circuit board, : we'll see. : It seems crazy that I need to buy a whole new fuselage just to get the : circuit board!

No need for that. N-type logic level mosfets are quite common. E.g. BUZ11 would probably work. It has higher internal resistance than PHP (40mR vs.

6mR), and lower max current (40A vs. 70A), so it would fry at lower current and waste a bit more power in the controller, but it is readily available and cheap, so you could first test with it that nothing else is fried. If not, then browse some electric supplier for another state-of-the-art MOSFET...

-Tapio-

Reply to
tapio.linkosalo

I've been led to believe that HobbyZone have very good after sales service - they should be able to supply you with a replacement.

Reply to
Dr KC

Greetings

DigiKey in Thief River Falls Minnesota is your friend. All kinds of MFETs including logic level MFETS.

You can order quantity 1 for almost all of their products. I have dealt with them for many years without any problems.

Be aware that these are static sensitive parts.

Good luck on Horizon it appears that the quality of service is on the way down. Used to be a service oriented company now you are more likely to get dumb looks, never ever heard of that problem etc.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

DigiKey does not have that part. However, they have several other lines of FETs. You can buy 1 with no problem. They do add $5.00 to any order less than $25.00. They have a marvellous catalog in either PDF or paper. The PDF is free; you will need a high speed connection or a lot of time.

Reply to
Mike Norton

There are lots of places to get MOSFETs. You can get them locally from Radio Shack if you are in the US. You can get them from mouser, without the annoying minimum order tax. Digikey has a minimum order. Arrow may also have this minimum.

If you work at a tech company, you can often just get a (free) sample from fairchild.

Bob Monsen