Aeronaut folding prop question

Hi,

I bought a couple of spinners for my electric powered JR Mosquito and found they needed the Aeronaut style CAM folding props that are screwed to a bar that crosses the spinner backplate with a hole that passes the spinner/motor propshaft. Hopefully someone will know what I mean :-)

Anyway, I've never used this type of prop before and am a bit perplexed to notice that there doesn't seem to be anything to stop the prop from folding in the forwards direction. Of course they fold backwards OK (and are definitely the right way round) but there doesn't seem to be anything to stop them from folding to about 45 degrees in the forwards direction. Do they just rely on centrifugal force for this, or have I got the wrong type/size of crosspiece, or what ?

Any ideas gratefully received,

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

Kevin R

,snip>

Boo-

You'll find that while spinning, the blades actually rake back a bit. As for the yoke (crosspiece) they are sized such that the blades fold back more or less flush with the fuselage. Usually if the spinner is the right size, the yoke will be also.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

You MUST use the spinner that goes with this style prop. It is the spinner that limits the forward movement of the blades. Been there, learned that !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Totally wrong! You do not NEED to use the spinner - the blades can't move forward due to centrifugal force. I've often flown without a spinner especially as the keep changing the root thickness

Romelluk

Reply to
romelluk

Reply to
jim breeyear

I did fly for the first time today the Jane ARTF glider I bought from North Weald. It is a small polyhederal wing 400 electric 3 channel plane . The wind picked up but I was determined to give it a go and it coped with the conditions really well. Two flights and I can still fly it tomorrow - must be good!

It came supplied with only 1 page of A4 instructions/illustration, I suppose this is why it was so cheap.

At least this was a cheap Ripmax deal that could fly, unlike the Reno Racers that were so far out on the wing incidence that they were incapable of flght without major modifications!

Romelluk

Reply to
romelluk

Thanks all for posting your experiences. It sounds as if it should be OK so I'll try it and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Reply to
Boo