Aircraft/RC Setup Question

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I have been out of the hobby for a while and have decided to take it back up again in the form of slope-soaring.

I have settled on purchasing an Irvine Pixie

as my re-introduction to the hobby as I have heard good things about it. In addition I plan to buy the Futaba 6EXA radio
as it seems like a good system that will serve me well for the future.

If anyone can help me answer the following I would be very grateful:

  1. Does the Irivine Pixie require mini/micro servos and Rx or will the "standard" servos and Rx that come with the Futaba 6EAX be sufficient? Unfortunately the detail on the Irvine website is limited.

  1. If answer to 1 is needs micro/mini servos/Rx then would someone be able to suggest suitable Futaba (or compatible) models at a budget price point that I could use.

  2. If micro/mini servos are used is there an equivalent "light weight" battery pack that could be used also to power them? Any model recommendations?

  1. As I have nothing left of my previous modelling experiences (!!), have I missed anything major that I would need to purchase apart from the kit and the radio noted. Does anyone have any comments on this setup or comparable model/radio they would recommend instead?

Many thanks in advance, Arun

Reply to
Arun Horne

The 6EXA has been replaced by the 6EXAS. Unfortunately, it seems Futaba is a bit slow to update their web site. Tower Hobbies has plenty of info on it though. This link should show you the variations of the

6EXAS that Tower has, or will have, available.

Can't comment on the plane, but I can help on the radio.

Tower lists several choices for the 6EXAS. One of them comes with a micro receiver and 3 micro servos.

Simply switch to NiMH battery packs. A 700 mah NiMH pack weighs significantly less than the same size NiCad pack.

I've got a 6EXA and I think it's great. The new version has a few enhancements.

Reply to
C G