Airplane Kits

Anyone know of a good website that has reasonable airplane kits? I am looking for a balsa wood kit with a wing span of 48" or more. I have looked around at various websites but none have too many balsa wood kits. They are all going to ARF kits.

Thanks Phil

Reply to
Sportfish21

Tower hobbies has a number of kits. The Sig Kouger and the GP Slowpoke are about that size. If you want to go a littler larger try the Utter Chaos from

may have a few kits Tower doesn't list.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

How bout a midget Midget Mustang. Exactly 48".

Sport Pilot

While we're on the topic of airplane kits, I'm looking to buy my second plane in kit form. My current (first) plane is an ARF top wing trainer,

65" wingspan .47 2 stroke, and is super easy to fly...So easy in fact that I imagine I'll get bored with it fairly quickly. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good second plane (I'm thinking mid or low wing), in kit form, that isn't to hard to build (I havn't built before), will take an OS .47LA and is a bit more agile in the air than my trainer?

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony Beswick

Well the Sig 4 Star is the ubiquitous choice. If the GP Easy Sport is still available in kit form, that would also be a good choice. If you like it real slow, or real fast, then the SlowPoke or Bridi Utter Chaos above would be good. Also check out the AirCruiser on the Bridi site.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I agree..the Sig 4 star 40 is an excellent kit to build...well engineered and a fine flyer (I am on my second one)..If you are ready for a slightly faster plane than your trainer, this is the one I, too, would recommend. Been flying many, many decades and still enjoy my Sig 4 Star 40 more than any other plane I have. Frank Schwartz

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

If you like warbirds go to SkyShark RC

Ted Campanelli

I just picked up 2 kits on eBay. $150 shipped for a CG Ultimate and $90 shipped for a Balsa USA Phaeton 90. mk

Reply to
MK

Check out Bruce Tharpe Engineering.

have the Venture 60 kit but havent started building it yet. I hear nothing but great things about his kits hence my purchase. Im waiting for the Vortex to become available again.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I gone to looking and bidding on Ebay. Gotta watch not getting carried away and bidding on too many or for to much. Durn near ended up with 5 Big Stick 40's.

Reply to
Gordo

Re the Vortex and Bruce Tharpe's kits. I but tthe Flying King and in all my decades of building, I have never had so much pleasure building a kit...it was just real fun to build such a remarkably well engineered kit...And it flys just great...Saito 80 on it and everyone in the club wants turns flying it... Frank

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

You must not be looking very hard!

Paul McIntosh

Sig Four Star

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

These are not 'boxed kits' - laser cut parts only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Glad to know Im not the only one that gets carried away there. Dont know how many SS 40 kits I have now...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Reply to
clintbass_2003

Also a quick question for you all out there, does anyone have the manual (not the plans) for the midwest Little CAP 232? I am building one that I bought at a yard sale for 50$, the kit, GOOD DEAL HUH??? But NO MANUAL, DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE????? I might have something to trade for it or any other possibilities.

Reply to
clintbass_2003

Good thing you can still get kits online. We are losing 2 LHS's in this area. One biz is for sale, one is closing. The one for sale isnt really a big loss unless you are after skateboards and RC cars. The other one is a huge blow to the local RC community having been in business for decades. Hobby Lobby Tony & Addy is closing its doors. Man, if you had a question, that was the place to go.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Yep, LHS's are slim pickin' around here. Closest one to me is a 10 mile drive. Actually, the closest one to me is about 4 miles away, but it's worthless. Lots of "Radio Shack" type models and the owner has *NEVER* been able to answer a single question I've asked.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

BUT the Internet makes all that not a problem.

I can get quality answers day and night from the Internet..especially RCgroups...and Internet shopping means i can get almost anything shipped in almost the same time as it would driving round the three local stores (if you count a radius of 40 miles as local) only to find that none have any stock anyway..

When stuff comes in in 3-4 days from CHINA and JAPAN, by next post from the UK, and in 3-4 days from Europe..well the USA is typically 7-10 days for some reason..but then nothing is actually made in the USA these days...so who cares?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher