Automotive primer paint

I have checked the archive on Primer paints and most are quite old. I am looking for information on automotive primers that would be suitable for spray painting balsa models and would be compatable with dope paints. I have used the spray cans from the hobby shop. I would rather use my own spray gun and airbrush for use in priming. Since there are so many things to consider, thinners, etc, compatibility, I would rather hear from those who have tried methods. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

I think that if you strat off with one of epoxy, dope or sanding sealer as the basis, just about any automotive CELLULOSE stuff works well..weight can be an issue

I only have used car p[ary paints sold in cans, but have gotten good results. Just be terrible careful of foam ..it MUST have an epoxy or acrlyic layer over it..even when balsa sheeted, or pay huge attention to filling cracks.

I believe some automotive paints are now water based: Those should do fine.

The gem is of course high build filler primer.

Turns rough work into a masterpiece.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there a brand name for the Water based primer? And can you use alcohol to help the drying time? Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson