Axiflo RK-40 Ducted fan....

Cleaned the garage this weekend and found a Midwest Model products Axiflo RK-40 ducted fan unit (Similar to the Kress unit) and a NIB K&B .46 Ducted Fan engine that I purchased back in the mid 90s..

Been involved in helis (RC and full scale) more than RC airplanes in recent years and have the itch to finally build up a DF airplane. All my searching on line for DF model kits seems to point to the .91 sized fan units.

Anyone know where to find a .46 sized DF model (I'd love an F-86 kit) kit?

I know rcuniverse has more jet/DF flyers than this group, but I'm exploring all info options.

Thx!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

With the advent of turbines it is getting almost impossible to find DF kits unless they are electric and they are much too small to adapt to a .46. There may be some on ebay or as you mentioned, RC Universe.

Reply to
Black Cloud

A while back, someone was producing a .40 sized A-4 Skyhawk. Maybe someone will help me remember the manufacturer's name.

I always wanted one of those after seeing one fly many years ago at the Willow Grove Naval Air Station in a demo during a pattern contest.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I can't afford a turbine. Actually, I can't afford to have the wife give me grief like she did with my latest helo build up. hehehe

A Skyhawk would be pretty cool as well... I'm not completely opposed to a scratch-build, but a kit would get me in the air much much faster..

I've wanted an F-86 model since the 1st time I saw Terry Nitsch's F-86 DF model in RCM - probably in the early 90s... F100, A4, A7 Corsair II would all be pretty cool as well. Maybe a Mig 15 or 21?? F104 would be sweet but dunno if my plank skills are up to the challenge...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego"

Reply to
Poxy

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Perhaps you could give her a cost breakdown on keeping a mistress.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I asked her "Would you rather have me go out drinking with my friends, or hanging out here and fiddling with my models and passing on some knowledge to [son's name]?" End of grief.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Electric is looking better and better these days. I actually picked up an electric helicopter a couple months back. I leave it in my truck and haul it out at lunch to buzz around the complex here. No messy field kit or other support equipment. Just plug in a battery and fly...

I've been eyeballing an electric A-10 DF model at the local shop for a while... I'm gonna build the DF kit in any case.. Maybe strap it to the back of one of my stick models.. hehehe

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Larry Wolf at Jet Hangar have a large catalogue of .46DF jets, wit

excelent quality and service.

Check it out

Javie

-- javierospin

----------------------------------------------------------------------- javierospina's Profile:

this thread:

javierospina

Just sent Larry an e-mail inquiring as to the feasability of stuffing this RK-40 unit into his F-86 model. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thx!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

No need to cross fingers, as Larry's Jet Hangar F-86 was designed to be powered by a K&B .46 D/F engine! He'd prefer you used his own Turbax fan unit, but... The RK40 duct is built up instead of molded, and the fan diameter is slightly greater than the Turbax, but it will work. Truth to tell, though, the plane is set up for the Trubax to be a drop-in, AND it's a bit lighter and more efficient, so if he's still got some old K&B .46 fan center bodies lying around, I'd opt for the Turbax.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

I got his reply this afternoon. He basically said the F-86 was a great 1st jet but the Axiflo fan didn't work too well. I'm going to go ahead and build the DF unit in the next couple months. I'll build a stand for it as well and at least fire it off and see what kinda thrust I can get out of it.

I'd love to get a Wren 44 turbine for it, but I can't swing that kind of money with risk of MIDS... Modeling Induced Divorce Syndrome. :)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

If you whant to sell it I will BUY? :censored:

Reply to
coxcollector