Big purchase this weekend - Mini Funtana 3D EP ARF from E-flite

Hello,

My local LHS in bay area is giving a no tax sale this weekend. I'm planning to make some big purchases. Since I have little time to do my research, pls throw in your choices if you have experience with Mini Funtana 3D EP ARF from E-flite and a lipo charger.

  1. Need fliight pack to go brushless (6.6:1 gearbox with 10T pinion gear and 12x6 prop included in the kit). So need a brushless recommendation that will suit this gear box.

  1. Need a recommendation on good, reliable smart lipo charger (3- 5 cell).

  2. Can funtana be used as a trainer? I'm a newbie to RC flying.

This is my purchase list :)

  1. Specktrum DSS radio system
  2. Funtana
  3. Brushless kit for Funtana
  4. A good smart lipo charger (3-5 cell)

May be I'm writing like a pro but I'm a newbie, so pls kick in if you have any suggestions. I'm also planning to buy a trainer (RTF most likely).

Thanks

Reply to
Geekay

Very familiar with this airplane. Have test flown 2 or 3 for some flying buddies. Also owned one.

No !!!! . If you have never flown before I would suggest hanging this pretty little airplane from the ceiling to look at while you're learning on something else , otherwise it's life will most likely most likely be very short . There are many good electric trainers out there but my favorite is the GWS Slo Stick. Many of the club members have these as they are a lot of fun to fly even for experienced pilots. I've seen a number of people learn to fly on these over the last 3 years or so . I have one and fly it often . I do have a brushless on it so this makes it a lot more fun.

Get one with micro servos

Nice aircraft , after you get some flying time under your belt.

There is not really a brushless kit as such for this , but here is a combo I have seen quite often and they fly good on this. This is also what Horizon Hobby recommends. Motor : Park 400 Brushless, by E-flite. 3700 or 4200 kv

25 amp Brushless ESC

4 micro servos in the 8-10 gram weight range , such a Hitec HS 55 Check to see what comes with your radio. You should be able to get micro servos with it.

You will need a 3 cell pack ( 11.1 volt). I would recommend a 2100 ma pack. I would highly recommend that it be a Thunder Power. They also make a pack configuration that fits this very well.

Many out there. If you want to go sorta high end I would recommend a Triton , or for a dedicated LiPoly charger that will suit all your futures needs , an Astro Flight 109D. Great charger. I've had a number over the last 3 years including the Triton and this is my favorite. BE SURE that you study the proper charging procedures for LiPoly batteries.

Buy a fire proof container of some sort to charge the batteries in and NEVER leave them in the aircraft except when flying. Not even for charging. Lowe's and home depot have a nice little safe for about 30 bucks that I like real well. Just make sure the case will contain the a fire if that should happen. LiPoly's demand your attention , safety and respect.

No. We know you're a newbie , and glad to help in any way we can.

Welcome

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

E-flite Park 4200 brushless inrunner and E-flite 20A ESC ( make sure the ESC is version 2......B at the end of the part #, if there is no B there then its version 1 and you will experince problems with that )

E-flite 450 outrunner would also be good

Triton

Can be with an instructor.....NO if its your first!! and going solo. Try out a GWS Slow Stick and put the Park 400 in the stock gear box and use the lipo pack for the Funtana.........you can always switch over the gear to the Funtana at a later time when you have some flite time under your belt

Reply to
Mike R