Blade MSR

Hi

I received my E-Flite Blade MSR yesterday.

Nippy little bugger!!!!!!!!! 8^)

It flew well in a light breeze in my garden - thrown around a bit by the breeze, but given the size and weight, I am surprised it coped as well as it did (Conditions were a bit marginal but I couldn't resist trying it outside). A bit twitchy and the rudder control is a bit fierce compared to the MCX , but overall I would recommend it.

However, I have noticed that, when viewed directly from the rear, the main shaft is not square and is at an approximate 5 degrees angle clockwise. It flies well with the trims more or less central and there is no sign of damage or stress to the mainframe so I am guessing this is a design feature to aid hovering rather than a result of accidentally landing in the bushes a couple of times whilst chasing the cats; although I cannot find any mention of this offset in the instructions and I didn't notice it when I received the heli.

I also have a Hirobo Quark and have just realized that the left skid on that has built in lugs which, on the ground, gives the main shaft a

5 degree offset similar to the MSR to enable a vertical take-off without any aileron input; unlike E-Flite, Hirobo do describe this in the instructions.

To date, the Blade MSR has had no more than 3 or 4 "unexpected arrivals" - all lightweight affairs and certainly no heavy landings - but I just want to double check that the mainshaft offset is intentional; as I said, I didn't notice the offset on the MSR until after the first few flights.

I have been building fixed wing aircraft (rubber powered to quarter scale) from the age of about 9 and am now in "the prime of senility" (to quote Benjamin Franklin) and have only recently moved to small electric helis so I can just shamble out of my kitchen door and fly round the yard whilst the wife is preparing dinner - or even fly from my armchair. I would assume that the rotor offset serves a similar to engine offset in a fixed wing aircraft

Regards

KGB

Reply to
KGB