Building board- what material?

Does anyone have a recommendation of what type of material would be good for a building board? I have an old flat door as a base, but it is very hard to push pins in.

Thanks!

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

I use some stuff call - you guessed it - building board. It's a fibrous wall board painted white on one side. Comes in 4' x 8' sheets. Pins push in easy. Most home improvement stores have it. When I couldn't find it one time I used ceiling tiles.

CR

Reply to
Charley38

I like drywall. It pins easily and securely and it stays flat.

Reply to
M-M

In message , Kurt writes

I have a piece of blockboard which has the same problem as your door.

I stuck 2 layers of cork floor tiles left over from a house job on to it. This gives a layer about 6mm thick which takes pins very well.

On top of that I have pasted a layer of lining type wallpaper using left over wallpaper paste.

This paper can easily be drawn on for centrelines and the like and when it gets glue blobs on it, it can easily be dampened and removed and a new piece put on.

I keep a tightly closed jar of leftover wallpaper paste ready to use and so whenever a new project is to start a new paper is put in place to give a nice clean and smooth start.

I also find that the paper on top tends to prevent the cork surface from suffering to much damage with knife cuts and anyway the new paper binds all these together anyway.

Using the above I have had the same building board for about 30 years and I guess it will see me out!

HTH

Reply to
Max George

Cork Board glued or double sided taped to a scrap (miscut or leftover) Granite counter top.

Reply to
Chuck

I have a hollow-core interior door I picked up cheap at a home-improvement store because it was damaged. I put a layer of fiber ceiling tiles (two of the big ones-- 2'x4'?) on top.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Buy a two foot by four foot suspended ceiling tile. The reverse side should be flat and it's soft enough to push pins through. Make sure the one(s) you buy are planed smooth and flat on the reverse side. Some of the styles is tiles are textured in some way and not flat and smooth. S

Reply to
swede