Common Sense 0, Murphy 1

Depending on your particular bent, there are several USENET news groups related to various model activities.

There are also a goodly number of Yahoo groups which focus on specific areas, such as giant scale war birds, Futaba radio systems, etc. You can read most of the Yahoo groups (mailing lists, actually), but most require you to join before you can post.

An advantage to the Yahoo groups is that you can tailor your participation : receive a digest of posts, receive no posts, receive all posts, and so on.

Best of all, the Yahoo groups are nearly all moderated and a lot of the nonsense seen here is not permitted. Those who won't abide by the specific group's rules get tossed.

Some of the Yahoo 'groups' aren't; many are one-man shows and as such are seriously limited in content. There are a few which have a fairly high number of respondents, and which are quite rich in information exchange.

Finding a group to your liking in Yahoo can take some time, but it's usually worth the effort. Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Then block all cookies and be happy. After that, all your visits will be just like the first. I'm not sure what you mean about clicking OK on reading of a post or even a page. You NEVER have to mark a forum as having been read if you don't desire.

It is not a static web page. If it were, you'd not need cookies. If you expect the operators of a no-charge web site to maintain a database of every click and view every user makes you are living in a dream world. For a site that gets the activity that RCGroups gets, it would require a huge SQL server just to maintain that click traffic.

Finally, if it truly frosts your buns that severely, you have a choice. Don't go there.

-- Dave Thompson

Reply to
Dave Thompson

Some of the more "legitimate" sites need to set cookies, and I am OK about that as long as they ask me first (that is how I have my browser set up) so I do not want to set up as "no cookies at all".

That is OK with me _ the site is such a pain to use that I only go there when a NG post suggests a paticular forum post/thread to read.

It is not clicking to say I have read the item - each time I attempt to read a post I get a "warning - the server wants to set a cookie" message and I have to click OK to proceed - the alternative is allow this site carte blanche to set whatever it wants on my Mac - and remembering all the stuff in this NG about the dubious honesty of the owners of this site there is no way I would trust them with unlimited access to my Mac.

But it seems to be a commercial site, not a hobbyist site. While that is OK in itself, a site owners choice, one (meaning me) expects a higher standard than those sites run for the good of fellow modellers by the good guys.

Exactly, tho what we are talking about is probably only a few hundred gigs (I would think at the most - at a cost of perhaps $130) to store that info in every registered members account file. The dream world bit comes from my hope that the site builder would think about the viewers convenience. Obviousely they don't give a damn. and that is their choice.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave - I will take your advice - but at least by having my rant I might encourage someone to start a really good site for RC info and forums.

David

Reply to
quietguy

Why not you? If you can make a go of it, the modeling community will be better. The more the merrier.

-- Dave Thompson

Reply to
Dave Thompson

I think you're confusing RCGroups and RCUniverse. RCGroups is the home of the Ezone, and I've never heard a negative thing about it on this list. People are sent there all the time on this list. If you mean RCU, then there have been quite a few negative posts. I wouldn't worry about cookies in RCGroups, they don't do popups or anything else annoying.

Good Luck, PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

The problem for me Dave is that I do not have the knowledge or skills to build such a site, and do not have the cash to host it.

David

Dave Thomps> ...

Reply to
quietguy

Hey Phil - thanks for pointing out my mistake here, and my apologies to the RC Group guys for my incorrect comment about their reputation for dishonesty - I WAS confusing them with RC Universe in that regard. Sorry guys - getting old I guess.

But my comments about your site being a pain to use stands. Their constant demands to set a multitude of cookies IS bloody annoying, and unnecessary.

David - who HATES it when he gets it wr> >

Reply to
quietguy

Jeez, you guys make it sound too much like WORK. I am lazy so I siphon my larger tanks full and hand pump (crank) the small ones. As far as I know there is not pressure or electric activity involved with either method. Oh, I try NOT to pit right next to someone who does not maintain his equipment which can be surmised by the neatness and cleanliness of his 'stuff'.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Arewe talking about rcgroups.com?

If so I amazed because it doesn' seem to be the same site that I visit almost every day.

Fast, easy to navigate, with commercial content held well in bounds and explicitly delineated.

Excel;lent ,matrial, well moderated, and split up as senibly as possible.

Of course it needs cookies to remember who I am and set up my default short cuts throuh the menu.

it has never abused the privilege.

Either you are talking about a different site, or you work for the competition?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

unnecessary.

Do a Google search foor "cookie muncher"

Reply to
Boris

Dave,

This is Jim Bourke, owner of RCGroups.com.

We recently upgraded our forum software and it does seem that the ne software sets quite a few more cookies than the old version.

The cookies are very useful to our regular users, who want the site t remember when they last visited, what their login id is, which thread they've read, etc.

You should be able to disable cookies using your browser settings, a which point you'll have no trouble accessing threads at RCGroups as w do not require a login, etc, to access the site.

From our perspective, cookies are one of the reasons we have a usefu site. The usefulness is what gives us users, who provide content, wh give folks such as yourself reasons to follow links to us. So yo can't avoid getting some advantage out of cookies in that sense, at th very least. :)

Jim Bourke RCGroups.co

-- jbourk

----------------------------------------------------------------------- jbourke's Profile:

this thread:

jbourke

I just happened to notice the post below...

Regarding pressure in your tank, you must consider PSI X area = FORCE... In other words, if you have a fuel tank that measures 8" X 8" on a given surface and you apply 4 PSI of pressure, you are exerting 256 pounds of force on that surface... In reality I'm sure the pressure you're using is MUCH less...

To give you an idea of this pressure X area business... Sears marketed a refrigerator some years back that use air pressure pumped under it, so it could be "moved with one finger"... It generated less than ONE pound of pressure......

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

"One pound of pressure" is meaningless. You must reference it to an area or volume. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

You're pickng nits, Gerald.... I referenced PSI throughout my post.... Gimme a break... At least I ain't trying to put 132 oz into a gallon.....

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

OK, you win. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Thankyou for this helpful answer Jim. Admittedly, I didn't try setting my browser to 'no cookies' as usually when a site keeps asking for them it will not let you go further until giving in. So will try again.

David

jbourke wrote:

View this thread:

quietguy