convert #64 to metric

please explain converting metod for #64 rubber band in metric. this is oval measurement or normal circle dia.

thanks

realdo

Reply to
Realdo

Measuring one of my #64 rubber bands held flat/unstretched gave approx 4 inches or 100ish mm.

Reply to
The Raven

Thanks Raven for info

Realdo

Reply to
Realdo

In order to get an equivalent "rubber band", he needs more than just th

"whatever measurement" in metric. Maybe "realdo" can get an equivalent better by comparing what he ca find in Office Supplies stores. Size wise, like diameter, thicknes and width of the rubber band, AND the force required at a certai "stretch". Realdo seems like he is in Hungaria, and I have no idea what i available there. HT

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Just how are rubberbands sized ? The numbers on those that I have seen don't seem to correlate to anything. A #64 is 3 1/2" X 1/4, a #32 is 3" X 1/8 and a #117B is 7" X 1/8.

?????????????

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:06:37 -0500, "Red Scholefield" wrote in :

I'm not sure of the history.

Here is a chart in English units. Guessing the metric equivalents shouldn't be too hard:

From another page, this looks like the metric equivalent:

OK, one table with both sets of units:

I've poked around, but can't find a history of how the sizes were standardized. :o(

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Hey Red-

Must be raining there in gatorland, leaving you to ponder one of life's lesser mysteries. There is a chart at

that gives metric dimensions for standard number sized rubber bands.

When you find the answer to that one, here's one that I have puzzled over without reaching a definitive conclusion: Why do women in public places pair up when they go to the loo? Some theories include a) the safety in numbers notion b) it's an opportunity to gossip about their male companions c) they flip a coin to decide who warms up the seat

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Reply to
Howard Denison

Nifty chart, but it still sheds no light on the mystery of the designation #. I know I won't sleep tonight.

Red

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Ah, another of the Papal mysteries that will be revealed to us should we make the cut. :-) It is worth being good for (at my age).

Red

Reply to
Red Scholefield

While there are enough posts for converting the rubber band to metric I'd like to point out that there are apparently other rubber band that will hold the wing to a trainer. That is what we usually use #64 for. If you search this group for "rubber bands"................ok bad idea, lots of flames. It seems there are stronger rubberbands that you can use. If you're using them to hold a waing on just make sure you use a band that is secure, you don't want the wing to come off. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Also there are rubber bands and there are rubber bands. Look for the Crepe rubber, rather than the synthetic. Alliance calls them Pale Crape Gold.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Question on how rubber bands are numbered ??

Same question on how drill sizes and screw sizes are numbered. I use to know but forgot how you get the numbered drills or screws. It wa something like add a specific number and multiply or devide by anothe number. Probably similar hocus pocus with rubber band

-- indoruwe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:

this thread:

indoruwet

Super

Thanks

Reply to
Realdo

The fact the sizes don't seem to correlate suggest it's probably some archaic imperial measurement.

Reply to
The Raven

Took less than 60 seconds of searching; Standard rubber bands are assigned a "size number" that corresponds to length, width and thickness dimensions.

More details at:

Chuck Jones

The page you cited gives a fine table of sizes. I think that Red and Raven were interested in HOW the numbers correspond to sizes, i.e., whether there's a pattern other than "it's tabulated." That may be all there is -- it's a historical agglomeration, with #1 being the first size that some dominant company started making, then #2, etc. But there also might be some coding in the numbering scheme... if anyone knows a reference on that, I'd be interested.

-John

Reply to
John F. Hughes

Brilliant Chucky! Read the statement again.

"Just how are rubberbands sized ? The numbers on those that I have seen don't seem to correlate to anything. A #64 is 3 1/2" X 1/4, a #32 is 3" X

1/8 and a #117B is 7" X 1/8."

These numbers do not seem to progress in any form of sequence relative to actual sizes.

We have all figured out which number goes with the actual size - but how are the numbers derived?

Sorry you had to spend a precious minute of your modeling time telling us what we could already read off the box or from any supplier's web site. But then we understand, a minute spent taking a shot a people on this forum to demonstrate your perceived superiority is a minute well spent in your little world with little else to amuse you. Red S..

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Now Chucky will enlighten us further by declaring there is no No 1 or No 2 - or any other single digit designators.

You have to be the second smartest individual on this forum to understand the question. Very good, as the smartest missed it completely.

Red

dimensions.

Reply to
Red Scholefield