Engine recommendation

Check here for the needle mods, and just about everything else you'll ever want to know about Fox engines:

As for Cox engines, they're gone. They're selling out their remaining plastic toy engines and then there will be no more of the once ubiquitous Cox engines. Sad, but true. However, you can get the remaining engines for eight bucks while they last. Soooo, if you still want to fly 1/2A, buy now! Their price on Ebay will soon go outa sight.

Geoff

Morgans wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

I ordered 5 of those Cox engines, not a bad price for a glow head and reed valve, piston, prop screw, ect... Thanks, mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

I just ordered 3. I'm tempted to order a half dozen more. And they are down to $6.99. Dang....it's the end of an era. I've built and flown dozens of c/l engines powered by the mighty .049. At the peak, I was flying twin fusalage dual engine planes I designed myself, and some of them actually flew well (some...didn't). I just opened a box that I sealed 10 years ago, and found a brand new teedee .051, never been run. And an 049 that was run on the bench for about 5 minutes and then packed away. I bought the set about 12 years ago and put them in a box and never got around to doing anything with them.

Who else makes 1/2 engines?

Reply to
Ook

Quite a few people make .049s but AFAIK they're more than $6.99 each. Norvel, CS and Cyclon spring to mind.

The Cox engines are/were great but they're a bit small for my current needs. I understood production of these was moving to China so maybe they'll become generally available again soon ?

Reply to
Boo

My Fox .74 was from a 1992 batch that had a known head button problem. Known after I had already traded it to a good friend without knowing it. I don't know if he ever had the head button replaced or not.

You are right, a little sandpaper, gently applied, and then tried many times will provide you with the proper midraange. BTDT.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed,

I bought some honest-to-goodness 20% castor fuel to break them in with (probably not enough, though!).

I also bookmarked the web pages explaining the needle modifications...

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

"Robert Scott" wrote

Probably not enough oil, or not enough fuel?

It only took about 4 tanks to get it broke in enough to run reliably, then I flew it. It wasn't all that hard, as I recall.

Reply to
Morgans

"Robert Scott" wrote

------------------------

A few more ounces of castor wouldn't hurt for break-in, but I doubt if it would hurt anything to run the fuel "as-is" as long as you keep it fat.

I bought a used Fox .50 BB a while back. It needs a good cleaning, then I'll see if it is in good enough condition to mount up the Davis Diesel Development conversion head. Word has it that this makes a great Diesel.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Fuel, judging by what I've heard about the long Fox break-in period.

Glad to hear that. I'm in a rural area and belong to a small club. I've never seen a Fox engine at the field. It will be fun to have something a little different.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

------------

My short term memory is shot, Bob. Which Fox engine did you get?

The ringed engines of long ago took a while to break-in. Word has it from a friend that is very knowledgeable (Sport Flyer) that the more recent ringed Fox engines take much less time to break-in.

The old lapped piston Fox engines were the ones that took a lot of work to bring them through break-in. But they were worth the wait and the trouble.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Two .40 BBs and a .36 BB. I can't remember for sure, but I believe I researched them and found them to be of mid-'80's production.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

"Ed Cregger" wrote

That could be, and I don't have any experience with them. I only had the BB ABC .40 engines. I have considered getting one of the bigger ones, but never got around to it.

Reply to
Morgans

Let us know how it works. I've got two Fox .50s, and wouldn't mind trying a Davis head on one.

Comment was made above about who still makes 1/2A sport engines. Norvel is gone along with Cox. The Chinese AP, which seems to be a Norvel clone, is still around. and there are some diesels from India still around if you look hard enough, but the old standbys (Cox, OK Cub, Atwood, Wen Mac, etc.) are all history. Check the thread on 1/2A engines on RCU for more sad details.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

-------------

I hate to see the .049 engines disappear.

I don't like being around them when they operate. The high pitched sound bothers my ears.

There is no shortage of 1/2A engines on eBay, so I imagine folks will still be flying them for a long time to come.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

its the little 010 that are worse they sound like mosquito's on speed

Reply to
funfly3

Hi,

Since posting that I came across a comprehensive guide to 1/2A engines at the following website :

Hth,

Reply to
Boo